Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilly1977

Do we paint our original wooden beams white?

lilly1977
11 years ago
We are buying a small flat in London that is in a converted church. The flat is fairly small, only 2 bed, and feels it. You would think that would mean high ceilings, but no - as we are on the 2nd floor (there are 3 floors) we have pretty low ceilings. What makes it even more obvious are the dark horizontal beams on top of every wall. There are beautiful vertical arched dark wood beams and brick arches that we love and want to keep original, but I want to paint the horizontal ones white. Is this a good idea?? What paint would we use, do we have to get a professional in to do it?

There are many small church windows throughout the flat, so my idea is to lift the space as much as possible.

I have attached two pictures - one of the master bedroom and one of the corner of the living room, so you get the idea. We have not moved in yet, these pics are from the agency's website and are not our decor but the sellers. Thank you!

Comments (110)

• LEYA Matalas
    11 years ago
    Sorry, I have to disagree, The beams are charming. The church windows exquisitely beautiful. The beams are part of the architecture and are true to the building. I wouldn't dream of defacing it, just make it integral to the design and furniture you select. I hope you get it - its unique, and thats what makes it special.
  • PRO
    DMS Interiors
    11 years ago
    the problem is the beams are just random and visually heavy. there is a place for beams....sometimes it works....and sometimes what is there is just not really charming at all - just big and dark...the ceiling height won't visually change regardless of beam painting.
  • Leta Thiessen
    11 years ago
    Hi all - I am not a designer, but do love to dabble!!. I find the high contrast and random beams and arches read with quite a bit of visual "clutter". Their 3-dimensionality will still read as fantastic architecture, albeit , "quieter" if they were painted out. I would not hesitate to do it - PAINT them - it will add an amazing serenity to the space without taking away the charm.
  • lilly1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks again to everyone's replies! Me wanting to paint the beams white does not mean I want to erase the character. I only want to paint the horizontal beams as when you are in the flat the ceiling seems very low and oppressive. The reason we bought the flat first off is the location to good schools for our childen and the excellent location in north London, secondly the beautiful character of the flat - I also think it's way better than living in a white box.

We love the church windows, we love the brick work and arched beams, and we love the horizontal beams - we don't want to get rid of them at all. I still want to see them as a feature, but maybe not so contrasty and dark. I was thinking more of this type of image (attached).

Anyway I have taken all comments on board (very interesting about painting the walls instead - thank you!) and we'll possibly move in first and live there for a while before doing anything.

I will keep you posted on what we decide to do, thank you!
  • lilly1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I also had a play around on photoshop (I am a complete amateur on photoshop so excuse the messy image!!) erasing the beam in the kid's bedroom. Obviously in real life we would still see the beam, but see how the space just feels elevated, and the windows are the main feature now! Although a part of me does feel like it looks like a pair of eyes just had their eyebrows shaved off ;-) lol
  • Y Uh
    11 years ago
    I think you're right. Lower the contrast.
  • PRO
    DMS Interiors
    11 years ago
    The ' eyes ' can move about the space without getting snagged on the beams! The windows pop....and you still feel the character of your space. I am an interior designer and felt compelled to comment as the beams were just killing the rooms. If your rooms were 3 times the size and the ceilings 12' tall...it might have a different outcome. In a space it's important to have a focal point, so now the windows pop out as a beautiful arch. Feature and your painting is the focal point. The important part about painting those beams is the paint Job! I always use Ben. mooore paint- not sure what you have in your area. The beams do not have to be sanded. Clean them and wipe with a deglosser. Then PRIME them. Your primer is key- don't buy cheap. Make sure your painting temperature is a day with low humidity, no rainy day painting. The primer needs to dry - I like to wait at least 24-48 hours for a good primer to dry on wood surfaces. Then, paint: eggshell would work. Not too high gloss ( not trying to bring the beams out) you don't have a lot of wood work in the space as I can tell. The beams could be semi gloss...but it might just draw more attention to the space. I prefer the eggshell finish. Walls can be Matte ( again, Benjamin Moore paint ) which is not the same as flat. Matte finish can be wiped - happy painting!
  • alexandrina
    11 years ago
    "Although a part of me does feel like it looks like a pair of eyes just had their eyebrows shaved off ;-) lol"
    What a beautiful phrase! This was exactly my feeling - there was something missing in the picture, the element of balance.
    I was thinking also along the line of custom made furniture following the lines - like glass cabinets with sides matching the curved beams!
    And you have the right approach - when you live there for certain time and have all your friends ooohs and aaaahs on the unique character of your woodwork, you will be so proud that you did not destroy it. Trust me, been there, seen that! Good luck with the place, it is unique!
  • melsplace1
    11 years ago
    Long thread~ First, the interior designer that suggested that the arches be REMOVED is really off base here. These are structural, and they can't be removed and stored in the basement! Secondly, painting the beams - don't paint them. While you may be living in this house/church for a period of time, it is historical, and you have an obligation to preserve the integrity of the space and its elements. So, to make you feel like these are less "heavy" and low, I'd instead paint the walls something other than stark white. The contrast between the dark beams and the snow white walls makes them more striking. I'd also suggest maybe painting the ceilings a sky blue, it may visually lift them. And lastly, I'd suggest that you live there awhile. You might be surprised at the cozy nature of a low ceiling and it may be less of an issue as you get used to it.

If as some suggest this is "your place" and you should be able to "do as you choose" then don't live in a historic property - move to a suburban cookie cutter box that doesn't have any historic value or character. Historic properties are notorious for being challenging to live in, and if you're not into that type of thing, go for something less restrictive.
  • portpiro
    11 years ago
    The only beams I don't like are those chunks of the original gothic arch. The vertical and horizontal beams don't offend me in the least. The arch has been chopped up to make apartments and as such has no relevance any more. It just looks frankly odd and overpowers the space. I would paint the bits of the arch white. Paint can be stripped off if some future owner finds it unacceptable but I bet they won't. The arch will still be discernible and part of the original character of the structure; just not ruining the scale of your apartment where the ceilings are too low to balance out all that timber. But just the arch mind, the rest are beautiful.
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    Oh my, I am getting a headache reading all this.. The beams in question are structural, hand carved from peices of timber . They are worth a small fortune, to quantify the dollar value. The historical value is priceless.

To the owner, keep the beams as they are. Restored,they add a peice of design we in North America some times don't understand. When you choose to live in a restored home, you must respect the features.

Why would anyone take fantastic beams and box them in with drywall? That would create an eyesore. Boring to say the least.

I find the Ikea white furniture more offensive then the wood beams. I just toured a Frank Loyd Wright home in Buffalo. The preservation society has paid so much detail to the wood in that house. Every detail has been lovinly referbed to original state.

There was not one person in that tour that said.. um wood is old lets get rid. Or paint. :)

I couldn't see the pics of the windows , do you have stained glass?

What an inspiring space, love it and be happy. Live there for 6 months. then decide.
    I would not paint, but then the horizontal wood maybe a sacrifice you choose to make.

Good fortune and luck in your new abode.

Fabia
  • alexandrina
    11 years ago
    "Paint can be stripped off if some future owner finds it unacceptable but I bet they won't. "
    You will probably lose the bet:) I am one of the "future owners" who cried over the destroyed window work! And with the modern stripping methods the wood is damaged permanently. It takes months to restore something that was painted in minutes. There are tons and tons of white boxes around to add one more to the expense of the elegant woodwork that was saved for you from someone with a chartreuse sofa (I like it also:)
  • lilly1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I must stress the furniture in the flat is not ours but the sellers, I for one don't like that sofa at all! We have a more vintage eclectic taste regarding furnishings. With the church being historic, i understand some people's outcry at me wanting to paint the beams - but there are thousands and thousands of old churches in the UK which have been converted to flats, especially in such a densely populated city like London. This church in particular is not a historic listed building, neither is it restricted or in a conservation area. However we are not allowed to extend on the building, or change the windows, or hang anything on the exterior, or change the front door, or cut the timber woodwork.
    Anyway I appreciate everyone's replies - I am also getting a headache from so many conflicting views! I guess we will do what we feels right, but I will live in it first and take it from there.
    Thanks!
  • antje121
    11 years ago
    No way would I paint the beams. White interiors are a dime a dozen but these beams, aside from their important historical value, are the showstoppers here. Let's look at it another way: this isn't really about whether you should paint the beams but about how you can make your space feel more spacious and airy, right? I would paint out the window frames in a lighter colour and paint the ceiling a very soft blue which will raise it visually, consider adding a broad but subtle stripe on the walls (cream and soft yellow). This would go a long way towards achieving your goal...without painting those gorgeous beams.
  • Gina Leitz
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Lilly 1977, is there a way to cut off comments after you've decided? I too am getting a headache from all this reading. I know you will do what you feel is right and your decision to live in it first and take it from there is the best route to go. There is a solution to your "no eyebrow" dilemma,,,a short pleated valance going across the interior arch where the windows sit.
  • jimreiff
    11 years ago
    If you want to lighten it up a bit - perhaps the wood can be stripped and sanded to reveal a lighter color. As is, the wood and its shapes have too much beauty to paint over and painting is hard to reverse.
  • PRO
    DMS Interiors
    11 years ago
    I live in a 100 year old plus home in Philadelphia - I've got beams and woodwork to envy - and when I tried to sell the house.....all the buyers who walked through said....it's dark..the beams are dark...they didn't get it. Maybe it's just the American mentality - but any house that had painted out the old woodwork from dark to white sells in a heartbeat.
    I took my house off the market- I will be painting the beams in my kitchen off white to blend with the cabinets - as for my other 2 rooms with massive amounts of dark beams...we will leave those . Not selling the house . There are places for dark beams and woodwork and some who like it ....but I have found the newer buyers are not interested in dark beams & historical features regardless of the history of the home. The market has really changed. The new gen X buyers like new & all done.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Gina, there's an option on the email notification that you can stop the receipt of emails about this particular thread. That's what I'm going to do right now! :) LOL
  • Cathleen Vought
    11 years ago
    If you want a feeling of ceiling height without painting them (and yes, I'm firmly in the
    "PLEASE don't paint them!" group), why don't you try painting the walls a slightly darker color - it'll make the ceiling seem higher.
  • joettabrown
    11 years ago
    If your determined to paint the beams, I would suggest 123 zinnser primer and a low sheen white, any gloss may show imperfections so satin is the highest sheen that I would go with
  • joettabrown
    11 years ago
    Although looking at your pics again, I really would suggest that you think twice because once you paint it's hard to go back, and I like the comment someone had about with changing the wall color, A sage green, or nice cream color even a blue gray would make the wood pop, you should try one wall before you think of painting any wood. Easier to cover up.
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    I will whisper this . Paint walls as suggested by many. paint wood around window frame white. Keep interior of the arch white too. Uplifting.
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    11 years ago
    Just along the ceiling.. where the beam cuts into to elevation of the ceiling. have some drywall mounted over it and voila. the rest leave as it.. its too wonderfully beautiful .: ) Im with one of the other commentators.. this is way too long a thread.
  • me2buystuff
    11 years ago
    I think your idea of painting the horizontal beams to match the wall color is right on. It will make the space feel better.
  • linzy
    11 years ago
    I would want to move in BECAUSE of those beams.
  • txantxangorri
    11 years ago
    I will soon encounter a similar issue. I have an old place in the Basque Country on the French side w 3m high ceilings. We will move to the Spanish side soon and the ceilings are a lot lower. The window frames in your place are dark. My first step would be there, I would paint them white (as stated by others as well). I would take it slow and see how things feel to you as you go along. My next step after that may be (in ref to the first pik) to lighten just the arches but not the corner structure. Anyway, seems you have heard it all before. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Sia Maniatakos, Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!
    Paint the triangle and the horizontal molding,however keep the arch it will be a focal point.

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!
    Paint the triangle and the horizontal molding,however keep the arch it will be a focal point.

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Lilly,

Lovly flat!!

Sia
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    so has this been resolved to everyones satisfaction?
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    so has this been resolved to everyones satisfaction?
  • PRO
    KILZ Brands
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hello Lilly,

Before you start any paint project, you want to ensure that the surface is clean, dry, and dull. When painting over varnished trim, prep is a very important first step. First, sand down the shiny surface and clean off debris with a damp cloth. You can go the extra step of wiping woodwork down with a liquid sandpaper or paint deglosser. This step will ensure a good bond and if you have to deal with lead paint, this step can replace sanding. Next, follow with a coat of quality primer like KILZ Premium primer. However, if you're purchasing the paint abroad, KILZ products are currently not sold in the UK. If you can't buy KILZ, look for a primer that has good adhesion to slick and shiny surfaces. Allow the primer to dry and follow up with a quality topcoat of paint.

We hope that helps. Please let us know how it goes, we always love to see before and after photos!
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    I don't know if you will see my post with so many great comments already; but I just have to say I understand completely the urge to paint the beams. You want the none interrupted look that it will give and the apperance of height. Maybe you could paint in some areas but not others. I'll tell you the bedroom shot made me say WOW just as is. I'm sure storage is an issue but if you had a low profile dresser instead of the tall one it would be perfect in my eyes. Which don't count... I know!
  • PRO
    GOAStudio London residential architecture limited
    11 years ago
    Wow...

What a dilemma...

And so many replies!

I would say don't paint the beams but if you absolutely have to then only paint the horizontal ones; the vertical arches have to remain or the spaces will look just odd (in my opinion).

I don't know if anyone raised this so far but: Have you checked whether this is a Listed Building? Because if it is then you are very very limited about what you can do to it anyway and it is also a criminal offence to do work to it without Listed Consent approval. This would be the first thing I'd check if I were you.
  • bluegrassbassgal
    11 years ago
    absolutely do not paint those gorgeous beams!
  • lilly1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi everyone, thought that I would update you all since this was such a great discussion! We have moved in, and as many of you will be pleased to hear, we did NOT paint the beams. They are just too beautiful to cover with paint, the wood is really gorgeous. However, we did paint the brickwork a pale off white colour called 'Clockwork' - I have attached some pics here for you to see. We felt the wooden beams coupled with the red brick was too heavy feeling in such a small space, we really love it!

In the picture - we have not completed that wall and are getting rid of the freestanding bookcase - we have hired a carpenter to give us a quote for a bookcase/shelving unit we want integrated along that entire wall against the brick arch, also don't mind all the kids stuff/highchairs in the kitchen pic - please excuse the interior for now!

Thanks again for everyone's replies
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Beautiful and dramatic!
  • lilly1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I should add my pictures aren't pro estate agent ones - just on my iphone, and were taken during an English winter afternoon, so pretty dark - but you get the idea;-)
  • Y Uh
    11 years ago
    Looks great!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Good God NO! Do not paint those gorgeous beams.
  • alexandrina
    11 years ago
    Great place! With a character! I wish you all the best and will be happy to see the version with the bookcase! Keeping fingers cross that it will match the curves - it will be a showstopper! May be you will consider an article of before-an-after for the Houzz?
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    DO NOT PAINT.
    The wood is too beautiful to cover up; it is an OLD CHURCH in LONDON ENGLAND with lots of character. Just think of the HISTORY this place holds.
    Good luck!
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    Looks so comfortable, and inviting. Peace to you in your new space. The beams are sooo incredible. Thank you for not painting them..
  • rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    Old post from 2012... I sure hope they didn't paint those beams.