Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiisam

wildflower i.d.

hawaiisam
18 years ago

Does anyone recognize this plant? It is low growing, maybe 4" x 4". The leaves remind me of lupine in shape but are smaller and grow in pairs. The flower is yellow and delicate looking. The seeds grow in pods like pea pods and the seeds themselves remind me of flax seeds.

Of course, the size estimate could be way off and the plant actually turn out to be a baby tree or shrub.

thanks, sam

Comments (11)

• usha
    18 years ago

Desert Senna may be...they do get to be small sized shrubs and self seed.

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nope. I looked up desert senna and the leaves are wrong. These are flat, rounded leaves and grow in pairs along the stem. Sorry I can't post a picture. (My philosophy is never do anything the easy way if the hard way will do.)

• judy_b
    18 years ago

What shape and size is the flower?

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The flowers are bright yellow and soft, kind of like portulaca flowers. About the size of a nickel or bigger. The leaves are not succulent though. Flat with fat rounded ends. I got some seeds but don't want to try germinating them if I am going to learn later this is actually one of Tomatofreak's house-eating gourds or poison ivy. sam

• usha
    18 years ago

try 'wildflowers of tucson' which has pictures of yellow flowers. I can't figure out how to cut and paste the address here.

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are right, Usha! When I tried "desert senna" on desert-tropicals the leaves looked very different. But on wildflowers of Tucson, Senna covesii appears to be it! thank you. Beautiful little plant. sam

• Kathleen W
    18 years ago

Oh yes, I thought the same as usha when I read the description. This just has to be the most cheerful carefree little flowering plant in the desert. I have several of these in my yard that have sprung up over the years. Even now in all this heat and with little to no water, it blooms and looks fine. Nearly every other native looks pretty stressed but there is pretty little senna, cheerful and pretty. Enjoy!

I have never tried germinating them and haven't seen them for sale. Does anyone know if they are easy to grown, notes on transplanting, etc.?

• usha
    18 years ago

Sam,
    I am glad to see that you have IDd the plant. It is one of my favourite wild flower plants. It requires no water and can survive rabbits..etc.
    Kathleen..you take the seeds and spread them wherever you want them. In general...this class of plants don't like to be transplanted...so you are better off with the seeds.

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have seeds! Should I start them now or wait until fall or what? thanks, sam

• usha
    18 years ago

Hi Sam,
    Fall would be better for spreading them.

• roo2000
    18 years ago

I've got tons of babies that have germinated in the last month. I don't think they are terribly sensitive to our heat - in fact, I think they love it at every stage of their lives.

If anyone wants seeds, just give a holler!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths