Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

I.D. help please..2 items (pix)

wendy2shoes
15 years ago

First shots are of a perennial I bought as a baby this spring at a church sale..supposed to be "Purple Obedience Plant". (umm, I don't think so..) Second plant just "arrived". I thought it was a weed, but I left it to see what it might become. Looks like a type of campanula, (bell flower), but not a very pretty one, until you tilt up a bell and look inside.

{{gwi:415491}}

{{gwi:415492}}

The "bellflower"

{{gwi:415493}}

{{gwi:415494}}

Comments (15)

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

First one is liatris, also known as gay feather. Don't know the campanula but I do like it.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

The first one is definitely Liatris Spicata. I have them and they are wonderful plants. Some bloom in white. They will reseed so if you want more look for similar tuffs of grass in the spring.

Don't know what the second one is but it is nice! :O)

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

The second is likely a campanula, but there are many varietes so I am not sure which it is.

• dawiff
    15 years ago

That second one looks like Campanula punctata to me. Check out the picture in this link. Most of them are pink, but they also come in white or near white with pink speckles inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campanula punctata

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

The second one sure is pretty! One of my friends gave me a liatris this year and I love it!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

butterfly's absolutely love your liatris, at first i didn't like it to well, it was small the first year, but i noticed the 2nd year it has a slight scent. and the butterflies love it!! ~Medo

• wendy2shoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks dawiff! Now that I know what that Campanula is..what should I do with it? I have been vigorously deadheading. I don't mind having a "smallish" display. Interesting flower, though you have to lay on your back by the side of the bed, and look up.
    Reminds me of crinolines! LOL!

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Nice flower beds! I like the plant combinations. I think you need to post some more photos!

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Wendy, Keep deadheading that sucker, unless you want to save a few seed pods for trade. I've heard that they self-sow very aggressively.

• vjhale
    15 years ago

Just want to mention that campanula punctata spreads by underground rhizomes, so even though deadheading is a prudent thing to do and will probably help, it will still spread.

• wendy2shoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a shot of the whole bed. I have three other "island" beds in the yard, and a butterfly bed along my other fenceline. (The centaurea macrocephala was a real star this year). Also , the yellow verbascum nigrum in the back left of this shot exceeded my expectations.
    {{gwi:344766}}

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

I love that Centaurea! I had one, but I think one of our little weeder helpers pulled it up (of course, leaving behind weeds instead).

--Ron

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Wendy never fails with beautiful photos of her gardens!!! Encore Wendy, encore!!!! :O)

I sowed Verbascum N. this year. Sounds like it's a good one. The Knapweek is making me drool. LOL!! Thinking of sending seeds out east? Want some White Liatris seeds?? Perhaps? Maybe? Possibly?

• monkey665
    15 years ago

I'm so jealous. Your bed is absolutely gorgeous. Mine is just starting and everything from this year is so small.

Linda

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I love those Centaurea! I had first year hearty sprouts last year and have nothing this year, so I think I will try again. Your beds are inspiring.

And I agree, those camps spread underground and can get out of control - even though they are beautiful.

Love your Nigella too!

Sponsored