Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berklady

b. emeiensis seller in the SF bay area?

berklady
18 years ago

Hey Bamboorinos, I recently decided that i'd love a b. emeiensis flavidorivens. Does anyone know where I can purchase one in the san francisco, ca area? Or has anyone bought one online and been happy with what they got? probably not a good option for me because I'm willing to spend more for a bigger(15-25 gallion) size, but maybe free shipping somewhere? unlikely, i know, but i gotta try. I really appreciate the help.

Comments (7)

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

I looked at the ABS Species Source listings. The only ABS member nurseries in California listed as selling this bamboo are in the LA area: Vista, CA (Bamboo 4U, and Bamboo Headquarters.com), or Chino Hills, CA (Rainforest Bamboos). The remaining sources listed for this species were all in Florida. It doesn't mean no one else has it, but these are the ABS sources.

• coolshare
    18 years ago

I bought a 3-gal one this year by mail and it has been
    happy so far (it sent out a 6' tall shoot this year).

I also planted a similar size Bambusa emeiensis Viridiflavus
    last year and it sent out a 1.5''x10' shoot this year.

It seems that Bambusa emeiensis will be very happy in
    SF Bay area.

Tropicalbamboo has it but price is a little bit high.

• berklady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info ya'll, Coolshare, out of your bamboos, can you suggest one thats got either green on green stripes, or white and green stripes, 1.5" or bigger culms, tall (over 25ft), with little lower branching, and leaf growth like emeiensis or textilis? I know i'm picky, but I think our environments are pretty similar, and it seems like you've got a lot of very beautiful bamboos. Breaking down for a b. emeiensis in a 3 gallon is tempting. Thanks for the help

• coolshare
    18 years ago

First, I think most sub-tropical boos are good for
    our area.

Bambusa pervariabilis viridistriata - grow fast. It sent several 15 - 20' shoots in the second year - very clear
    stripes like a smaller version of Vitatta. But with some lower
    branches.

Bambusa eutuldoides viridi-vittata looks similar to viridistriata but smaller. Both have golden culm (not green).
    {{gwi:424978}}
    {{gwi:424979}}

If you are looking for a green culm with white stripes,
    Bambusa textilis albostriata is one. I started a 3-gal
    last winter and sent out 3 shoots so far.

The stripes on young culms of Bambusa emeiensis Viridiflavus are not
    very obvious - actually it is hardly seen on the 1.5''
    size culm. But Flavidorivens appear with more stripes
    even when young.

If you don't really care the strips,
    Chungii is one that grow very fast (my second-year one is
    now still trying to complete the 20' tall shoot) with no branches
    at lower area and look blue. It culms will reach a
    bigger max. Here is how it looks

{{gwi:424980}}

Bambusa textilis Kanapaha is similar to Chungii but slimer and grow as fast as Chungii. The similar size plant is not
    seriously sending two 1.2-1.5'' shoot now (hopefully they
    can make it before too cold.) Unlike tropical boos like MeiNung (shoot died in winter), sub-tropical shoots can be "on-hold" during winters
    and restart to complete next year in our area.

From my collection, you can see what I like: stripes on
    big culms. I have most "big" runner and sub-tropical clumpers with stripes - and some tropics with lower
    part in "green house/box" and uper part out.

I normally learn to love the boos I originally didn't like
    if I couldn't get those I loved

• berklady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Coolshare, thanks so much for the photos and info! Very zen-like approach to aquiring bamboo. I think i'll end up buying a dolichomerithalla silverstripe, i do love the stripes and big culms too. I found one in sebastapol- 15 gallon for200. Are you growing one of those? I have a textilis growing really close to where this new boo will go, so i'd like something a little different. Thanks again.

• coolshare
    18 years ago

berklady,

I have three species of dolichomerithalla (Stripes, Sliver Stripes and Green Stripes).

The dolichomerithalla Stripes grows quite slow

{{gwi:424981}}

but sliver seems to grow normally (sent two 5' shoots this year
    after started as a 3-gal this Spring)

The 15-gal will make your dream comes truth faster (I got my green stripes from sebastapol too, BambooSroucery.com) .

• berklady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Coolshare- I made an appt with Bamboosourcery for friday, I'm so excited! I'm putting it in my backyard in order to screen the two atory house bordering the back of my yard, forming my own pricate oasis, i can't wait! Thanks again for all the advice and gorgeous photos. Hope i'll have some to share here in a bit. berklady

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus