Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_chybil

Help me, please. Where should I plant the trees?

Miss_Chybil
18 years ago

I did a little drawing of my backyard, but can't figure out how to post it. So here's a description... My house faces north. The backyard is on the south side and is surrounded by a slump block wall. Not including the sides of the house, which are in the backyard, the yard is approximately, 60' x 30'. At the west slump block wall I have a shaded tomato and pepper bed. I have a covered patio centered on the back of the house. On the east side of the patio is a dwarf navel orange tree. To the east of that on the side of the house a giant tree, (I'm not sure what it is - smooth, white bark that sheds) and the gate to the front yard.

I'd like to plant some trees that will give my future vegetables and other future plants some shade. I'd also like a couple more citrus trees. I'm not sure how much shade is too much shade for vegetables. Right now, the yard is full of bermuda grass. I don't want to get rid of all of it, just yet. I'm allergic as heck to it, but my backyard transformation is going to have to be a gradual one as I can't afford to do it all at once.

So, I want to plant more veggies and other plants and I'd like to create a microclimate for them. I hope you can help... I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Have you decided what kind of trees (other than the citrus?) That can make a difference.

Sounds like your white trunked tree is probably a Eucalyptus, my guess.

• Miss_Chybil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not really. I'm thinking I need something with dappled shade, that I'll be able to stand under someday.

My husband and my dogs laugh at me because I spend a considerable amount of time standing in the backyard staring at things - sometimes space. I've stared long enough, though, to think I should plant some trees as close to the west wall as I can, so as to allow the most light on the plants in the earlier part of the day. Then, I read in Mary Irish's Month-by-Month book, you can grow everything here in the shade. I also read an article on azcentral.com about the gardens at the Pointe resort, down by Guadalupe. Apparently, the chef started a cook's garden outside the back door of the kitchen. He got so obsessed with it, he now has a garden all through a canyon behind the restaurant and it's completely shaded by mesquite trees. According to the article, things are growing quite prolifically there and the menu revolves around the garden. So, I'm wondering if shade is just good. Do I even need to be so technical about it? I don't know what I should be considering. I do know it's hotter than heck in my backyard and maybe the shade is for me, more than anything else... ;-)

• aguane
    18 years ago

I'm smiling. I can soooo relate to standing in the backyard and staring at 'things'. I do that ALOT waiting for the lightning bolt of inspiration. You do need the shade most definately. Your plants will love you for the shelter.

Has anyone ever visited the terraced herb garden at Pointe Tapatio? It was there during Jeffrey Beeson's chef-dom. Mayb still be ther. Very good example of the dappled shade the Palo Verde can offer a veggie and herb garden. Pretty.

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

I can tell you to be aware of the TYPE of shade. I have deep shade from my trees and it does impact what you can grow. Veggies do not like deep shade. Bright shade, dapple light will work, such as you would be from mesquite, palo verde etc. You can grow lots of things under this type of shade, veggies and flowers and shrubs. I lift my trees up so that there is more light underneath, but it still limits me in regards to what will grow properly. Mine are all deciduous, so the winter sun is there and well used! But, the nice shade that I get in the summer does have the minus of not helping plants grow. I have mulberry (huge 25 years old) Chaste Tree, Az Pepper, AZ Oak, Lysiloma (desert fern) jacaranda and desert willow. The desert willow and lysiloma provide the right kind of shade.

just a thought..

Susie

• Miss_Chybil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aguane, I think the article I read was about the Pointe Tapatio. It sounded wonderful. The article was old. I hope the garden is still there. I'd like to go see it.

Susie, Thank you. You just answered my question, even though, I didn't know how to ask it exactly! Mesquite it will be. That tree will remind me of my childhood, playing in the desert and hiding under it for blessed shade. We used to build forts in them. (Out in the desert they droop to the ground. You can clear nice little "rooms" out of them.) Once, a friend and I made a church in there! LOL! We were the only two parishioners. Luckily, we didn't light any candles!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!