Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

WS tomato, heck yeah I'll do it again next year.

When I put my babies in mid June, I was thinking, no way am I doing this again. they are so small and will never catch up. This pic was taken 2 weeks after plant out.

{{gwi:424806}}

2 months later this is what I have...................

{{gwi:424807}}

They are all very healthy and robust(specially the bft, the plants are loaded with fruit). No ripe tom's yet, but some will be turning soon. I've been doing the squeeze test almost daily, LOL.

I will ws tom's from now on. I will also try to pull them inside when temp's dip in may before I plant. I didn't do that this year and maybe they would have been alittle larger if I pulled them in some nights. I also plan on planting earlier and making a water well from milk jugs, to try to get earlier ripened tomatoes. Can't wait for next year.

As soon as I start getting some ripe tomato pic's, I'll repost them to this thread.

Melissa1977

Comments (5)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Me too!
    My w/s'n two plants are in a neighbor's yard, as I don't have any space. They are huge!
    The variety I think is Neuva (?). They are loaded w/cherry tomatoes.
    Mostly green, but today I found a couple of ripe ones and they are sweet.
    Now I know why people say to plant them 3 feet apart, when they were so tiny it was hard to imagine they wd grow this big.
    Two of my WS'n I had transplanted in the middle of the season, and maybe that is the reason, or maybe it was the variety, or whatever, they did not do too well.
    But I am as pleased as punch, to have these two plants.

I'd definitely do it again.

ellen

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, it does work. I finally have some cherries turning, my Matt's Wild. The Hazelfield Farm can't be too far behind either. They give quite a bit when squeezed and they are about the size they should be.

Melissa1977

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Last year, I WS half of my toms, and indoor sowed the rest as kind of an experiment. The WS ones were much smaller at plant out, but eventually caught up, and were very healthy plants. This year, I WS all of them.

I planted different varieties this year, so it's hard to compare, but my first ripe tomato last year was 8/16 and this year, it was 7/24, so I'm definitely WS my tomatoes next year. Now, peppers, that's another story : )

Bonnie

• lblack61
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Melissa!
    Again, this hasn't been a great year for tomatoes in the North Country. My SIL just pulled out her purchased plants last week. For the 2nd year, they got some weird disease. I kept asking how theirs were doing and they said "fine" (I think there's some kind of specific "tomato pride" that people who garden sometimes have...never admit defeat). I wanted to see how there's were doing, because mine are in containers and I would move them to the front of the house if theirs weren't doing well, just to prevent any disease from transferring to mine. No such luck. My FIL told me they pulled there's up this weekend, and now, plants I had that were doing ok for the past two weeks are fizzling.

Of the 6 WSed plants someone was nice enough to give to me,only one is doing well. The volunteer plants are doing good-- they took forever to come up, and they are far behind where they would normally be.
    I did Summer Sow some Toms to replace the others that never germinated, and those plants are doing very well. They are supposed to be especially bred for containers, and they are ready to go into their homes this week.

(I think I need to do a test on those other seeds that I WSed. I've NEVER had a tom seed not germinate for me, no matter when I sowed it).

Toms are expensive in the stores and farmers markets up here again this year-- a sign that everyone is having the same trouble.So you might be able to get a decent buck for yours if you get an over-abundance! :-)

Linda

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

I'm still waiting for mine to ripen but I'm very pleased so far with all my wintersow babies.
    {{gwi:424808}}

Sponsored