tiffy_z5_6_can

The August gardens.

tiffy_z5_6_can
14 years ago

Winter sown pumpkin plants.

{{gwi:428970}}

Here's one of the babies.

{{gwi:428972}}

Rudbeckia Goldstrum in the second year! (winter sown of course)

{{gwi:428973}}

The Goldstrum is going to be leading the parade next year if the Lilac decides not to bloom in year 6.

{{gwi:428974}}

Winter sown Asclepias Incarnata (second year) getting set to bloom. There's also an Asclepias Curassavica there. Love the Phlox since the deers stayed away from them this year. YAY!!

{{gwi:428975}}

The south side of the house being watered after the day's heat. There's winter sown Hollyhocks, Coreopsis, Marshmallows, and more by the house and I won't go into what's 'on the hill' because I'd be writing a book.

{{gwi:428976}}

Part of the hill.

{{gwi:309649}}

Front of the house.

{{gwi:428977}}

My DM rooted a Ville De Lyon Clematis a few years ago - not a shy one.

{{gwi:428979}}

Donn's pretties are still blooming. :O)

{{gwi:428981}}

Come have a seat and enjoy!!

{{gwi:428982}}

Comments (21)

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

It's beautiful, Tiffy. Seems impossible, but it's better every year.

Karen

• PVick
    14 years ago

Ditto what Karen said - you seem to keep giving us peeks at places we haven't seen before!

PV

• playintheyard
    14 years ago

VERY NICE thanks for sharing. I spotted the coffee mug too

LOL

• sadie2005
    14 years ago

inspirational as always. thanks for sharing!

• carrie630
    14 years ago

A dream garden, for sure! Love the photos and the clematis is gorgeous - -

Carrie

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Very lovely!!!

Quick question though. What is the layered tree at the very back of picture 8? It's the one behind the white flowering plant(maybe hydrangea).

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Oh wow!! such a beautiful garden you have. I really love to look at your pics whenever you post!...is there a property nearby that might be for sale?...I am sooooooo tempted!! :)......beautiful area--great view of the neighbour's garden--a neighbour/friend that gardens--sound ideal!! :)

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

Oh wow. It is wonderful. wow.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Tiffy,
    I dreampt of your garden last night. It is as beuatiful as ever. I love the tiers and the stone. They set up the plants so wonderfully.
    Please save me Asclepia seeds. I'll send you the stamps I promised as soon as I get out of the hospital.

Thanks much.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Nicole, everything is gorgeous! I too love the stone walls and terracing. And everything looks so well maintained, unlike my neglected, ratty jungle.

I do wish I *could* come have a seat and enjoy! I guess I'll have to have a seat at my computer and enjoy from here, lol.

Thank you so much for sharing your garden with us! Beautiful!

:)
    Dee

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Glad that the deer didn't eat your phlox and you can enjoy their bloom and wonderful scent this year.

Thanks for sharing.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Beautiful! What are the "Donns pretties"? Are they dahlias?
    Tammy

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

tammyinwv,
    Those are Rudbeckia hirta 'Burpeii'.(sp.?) that Donn has been sending WSowers over the country.

Pretty, huh? I got some seeds from Donn too, but didn't WS them this past winter, so I don't have any in my garden. Will amend that this winter or maybe before the summer is over.

• laura_in_cinti
    14 years ago

Tiffy,

Your gardens are so beautiful! I love the rock walls and the pink phlox. I've been really wanting to do pumpkins but worried about the space. How big have yours gotten?

Laura

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to get back to everyone a little late. We are anticipating the arrival of Hurricane Bill and there's been some preparation to do aside from work at the gas station being ultra busy. :O) Tonight I'm mellowing out.

Thanks to everyone for making me appreciate what I have. Your comments are wonderful!

Playintheyard - Too sweet!! I always leave my coffee cups out in the gardens here and there and every year they do end-up in some photos. I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that one. :O)

Carrie - It took a couple of years for that Clematis to take off running. It's a stunner which blooms all season long whether it's pruned or not. Highly recommended.

Neil - That tree is an Aralia Spinosa (Devil's Walking Sitck). Highly invasive via roots, but kept in check in the right place it is really beautiful. My father gave me two and they are along the driveway where we mow or pull any 'young ones' since we walk by there all the time. The flowers are truly gorgeous and look like huge white Astilbe flowers.

GG - There's a place up the road... :O)

Piti - I will certainly save you some seeds. Oh I do wish you are feeling better. Sending you hugs!!

Laura - We have four plants in a patch about 5 feet by 6 feet and they try to run away all the time but we tuck them back into the patch. You should give them a try next year. The flowers are really pretty and you get Hallowe'en goodies as a bonus!!

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous clematis Tiffy! And blooms all year too - how awesome!

-StLGirl

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

How do I find out how to get seeds from Donn for the Rudbeckia hirta 'Burpeii'? I would love to give them a try.
    Tammy

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

You can get them from Burpee, tammy.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tammy,

I just answered on the other post. Send me an e-mail in late Sept. to remind me of the seeds. :O)

• friesfan1
    14 years ago

Tiffy,
    You are so lucky to have all that rock for your
    gardens! Everything is beautiful.
    Mary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

What a lovely property you have there! Large enough but hopefully not too large to take care of. I love your Hydrangea in the front yard. Which one is it? That clematis is full of buds! How much sun does it get? Your lawn looks positively lush and the rock wall in the back is very attractive. Your garden is really shaping up. Thanks for the tour. :-)

Sponsored