Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Do you think these are perennial?

This Begonia was ALL over this country club where I went to a wedding this past weekend near Warner Robins, GA, Z8. Mostly in huge concrete planters and spaces bordered by brick patios and walkways, so micro-climate could be a factor. There was also a large pond nearby. Looks kind of like really big wax Begonias with less rounded, more oblong leaves. Two to 3 feet tall, huge patches of canes with just a few leaves and tons of flowers at the tops. If they aren't perennialized there, someone planted thousands of these everywhere throughout the grounds.

Comments (13)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More context.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here they are, at the ends, towering over smaller Begonias I'm assuming were wax type.

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

Looks like Dragon Wings. Very good begonia for full sun as long as they are kept watered. These look a little stressed though or not fed during the growing season.

{{gwi:438059}}

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

Looks like Dragon Wings. Very good begonia for full sun as long as they are kept watered. These look a little stressed though or not fed during the growing season.

{{gwi:438059}}

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

How cold was it there last winter?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Where are my manners? Thanks for the replies!

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Yes, these are perennial begonias. You might keep them in a pot and bring indoors if you get a hard freeze. Dragon Wing is a cross between a bedding begonia and a cane. The canes will usually survive winter here in zone 9, though they may die to the ground, they'll come back in the spring.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply and info. I wonder where the cut-off is for these? Going by the term "dragon wing" I found several sources listing Z10 as their edge of hardiness, so not surprising they're coming back for you. Thinking they must have been planted this year where I saw them, at the northern edge of Z8. With that much brick though...

When I was at that wedding, I bent down to inspect a patch of these Begonias more closely, testing a cane for flexibility, and it snapped and slipped into a cup of water I was holding. It was the weirdest thing! I felt so bad for it, I brought it home.

Hcmdcole, forgot to ask, what is the pretty plant behind your Begonia?

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

The pretty bush behind the pot of Dragon Wings is Breynia disticha (Hawaiian Snow Bush)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! This is the 2nd time I've asked somebody about this plant from seeing their pics. Hope I see one for sale soon! Apparently I really like it.

• gree_knees
    11 years ago

purpleinopp, begonias are listed as usually perenniel in the Hortus Third. I've learned the hard way that most aren't cold hardy.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that's what I was asking, where the line is usually drawn for the pictured plant, if people thought these were planted from scratch this spring or if they've been overwintering there. "If they aren't perennialized there, someone planted thousands of these everywhere throughout the grounds."

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

It is possible they overwintered if it doesn't get too cold or stay cold for long periods of time. Dragon Wings are probably best treated as annuals though since you can get a six pack for $5 or so each spring.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida