Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isamae_gw

dumb Yucca plant question!

isamae
16 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with growing a yucca plant in shade or part shade? I thought it would be fun to try and sow some yucca seeds I collected from my sister's plant and every single one germinated and now I have 12 yucca plants about 3" tall. What am I going to do with 12 yucca plants?? I thought that somewhile back I read someone's post that they wanted some yucca seeds-if so I have about 70 seeds left in anyone wants any. Thanks for any info on your experience with this plant. Isamae

Comments (11)

• PVick
    16 years ago

From my (limited) experience, yucca grows anywhere, in any conditions! I sowed some in 2004; they grew quite happily in their 16 oz. cup for two whole years before I transplanted them to a 2-gallon nursery pot. They've always been in shade. I don't suppose they'll flower in shade, and I'm sure I've dwarfed them by being so shamelessly neglectful, but they are still living and growing. That works for me ....

PV

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

isamae are they white yucca?

• poppy_power
    16 years ago

I received a white yucca plant from a co-worker 3 yrs. ago.
    I planted the yucca in a shady spot,this is the first year to bloom.I beleive it would of took less time to bloom,if I, planted in full sun area.Here is the photo of my yucca.
    {{gwi:430173}}

• isamae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, thanks everyone. I will plant some of them and see what happens in a couple years I guess! Proudgm-it looks just like the picture poppy sent in. I always thought of them as an arid sunny type plant. They really are pretty though. Want some seeds? Isamae

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

isamae, you have inspired me to sow some of the yucca seeds I collected yesterday by the side of a country road. By the way, they were growing in shade. They are the filamentosa cultivar, the one with hairy fibers on the edges of the leaves. Google tells me the seeds can be sown anytime with optimal germination at 70-75º. Also said they could take 1-4 months to germinate. Did yours take that long?

• samfawzy10
    16 years ago

plays_in_dirt_dirt,
    I sowed white and Red Yucca on May 25,07 and both germinated in less than two weeks.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

They make great shrub plantings as they're evergreen. In my neighborhood you don't see them too often except around nicely landscaped offices and malls, and the houses of the apparently well-to-do. They are very expensive here, a yucca sold in a 10" pot is usally about $20-$30, the larger the yucca the more expensive they are.

Yuccas are very choice plantings for xeriscape gardens, once they're established you don't have to water them. Every year you can remove the browned leaves at the base of the plant whcih doesn't take a long time and makes it tidy looking. Sometimes they make new "pups" which can be snapped off and transplanted with high success rate.

I agree that they have die-hard roots and will come back from small root pieces, so do choose your site wisely for them. Other than the spring clean-up to remove the browned leaves, and cutting off the spent bud stalk, they're practically maintainence free.

T

• isamae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Netwiz, are all of those plants in full sun? I will pay attention to them if they ever get very big- thanks for the advise. Sorry they are difficult for you. Plays in dirt-I believe they took about 2 weeks to all germinate. I didn't cover the seeds at all either. Trudi, you make every plant sound so wonderful! Have you ever written a book? I think you should :) Isamae

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    16 years ago

Thanks, samfawzy and isamae, for the germination tip. Oops ... I covered the seeds. Hope that won't make much difference.

• netwiz
    16 years ago

Isamae, mine run the gammit from full sun to full shade. All of them bloom except the ones in full shade. They really do look nice when everything else has petered out, I just don't want my entire property covered in them!

I've permanently removed 6 large clumps (about 20 total) but have gained back twice that many in the other spots that root pieces were left behind. For every one yucca I try to dig up, I seem to get 5 in its place. We will eventually remove most of them and keep a few for winter appeal. I don't want to sound like a yucca "hater". I just wanted to be sure you knew what you were getting yourself into :)

Joanne

Sponsored