Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabax

preparring for winter

isabax
13 years ago

I put a lot of my plants into the ground this summer--its chancy in Atlanta but people have success so thought I sould try. Question is should I cut off the foliage now or wait for it to die back and freeze. Foliage looks very healthy still although we have had nights in the 40's.

Comments (2)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I live near Houston and we have cool nights later too. I would watch the weather and wait. Let the leaves die back on their own. Mulch heavily later in the fall, so if there is a freeze the bulbs should be protected. If it freezes when the leaves are still on, then they will die back. If you have been reading lately, most of us agree that it's best for the bulb to let the leaves die back on their own without cutting off green leaves.
    Kristi

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Hi isabeaux, I'm in Raleigh and I'm going to try to leave some of mine out this year for the first time as well. (Just some of the many Red Lions and their bulblets, so if I lose them I won't be too very crushed.) I am planning to put a bunch of mulch on top of them in the next week or so, and just leave the leaves to yellow on their own. Many of the outer leaves of the bulbs have started to yellow already.

I'm hoping to be successful with leaving mine out because lifting them all is getting to be a chore. And growing them in the ground during the summer is something they seem to benefit from. Good luck to us both!

Alana

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions