Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ces797

No new growth and brown leaf tips

ces797
15 years ago

Hello

First time growing Amaryllis.

I am entertaining company over the holidays and thought it would be nice to have some paperwhites and amaryllis growin in the house for them.

I have had both bulbs for a week and the paperwhites already have about 4 inch stems while my poor amaryllis still looks the same as it did when I bought him. The type is "Double Flowering White Peacock" and I will provide a link to see a picture of his status. When I bought it at the nursery they pretty much only had massive size ones (mine is 5 inches wide) and this particular nursery is very reputable as far as regular bulbs go so I wouldn't think twice about their stock.

In the photo you will notice there is a leaf tip coming out (was there when I bought it a week ago) Also the leaf tip has almost a red dabbled streak in it and what looks to be a browning tip)

I have this bulb potted up in regular potting soil with sand (for drainage) and dried compost (for nutrients) added to the mix. The soil is kept moderately moist and the moss you see is just decorative.

Please let me know if you think I'm doing anything wrong

Thanks so much

cesy797

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31692077@N06/2985430700/

Comments (5)

• cuddlyotter
    15 years ago

Hello Cesy and welcome to the forum!

It looks like your Amaryllis is doing just fine and also has a flower bud (scape) appearing. The scapes almost always appear off center. The key thing with your Amaryllis is to make sure it stays on the dry side until it puts out more growth. Allow the top one third or so of the soil to dry out completely before watering again and when you do water, only give enough to just moisten the soil. Don't drench the soil. The reason for this is because at this point, newly planted bulbs don't use up that much water and are more prone to rot. I hope the pot you've planted it in has got some drainage holes out the bottom so that the water has a place to go. It's a good idea to have your Amaryllis in a warm spot and in as much sunlight as you can until the flowers open up. At that point, just take the bulb and place it out of direct sunlight and in a cooler spot while it's in flower. Once the flowers are done, just put it back in the sunlight and allow the leaves to develop. It is at this point where the bulb will require more water.

I hope that helps you out.

Cheers,

Gerard.

• ces797
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info cuddlyotter!
    I do have it in a pot with a drainage hole. Noted on the water hold off until more growth appears. I think I read somewhere that some people put there new bulbs in plain water to revive it so maybe I was thinking that when I first watered it. When I bought it, it already had a lot of good looking intact roots. I pulled off the dead/dry ones leaving just the plump white ones. I guess I just got a bit of gardener envy when I see posts where people are getting an inch of growth a day and my poor guy hasn't even seen a centimeter in a week! ha
    I have another question for you if you don't mind pertaining to lighting. I live in a East facing house blocked in on the North/South sides by equally as tall houses and my West window is currently still blocked by major tree foliage (darn things leaves are still full and green!)
    So until my lighting situation get's better is it okay to put it under artificial lighting? I currently have it on my kitchen countertop under the overhang of my cabinets that have recessed lighting underneath them. So currently it's about 10 inches away from the light source. Is this okay?
    Thanks so much for your help!

ces797

• cuddlyotter
    15 years ago

Hi ces:

Good to know you have it in a pot with drainage holes. That makes a huge difference. Re: the rate of growth: it can vary. I've had bulbs that have put out very fast growth and others that have put out very slow growth. It all depends on the variety and how it was treated prior to bringing it back into growth.

Re: light: Well that's the toughie. For now you can try to keep it under the lights of your cabinets with recessed lighting but don't be surprised if the growth becomes somewhat weak etc. I'm in the same, if not worse situation than you in that I have little if any sunlight coming in my apt windows. To that end (and I don't pay power BTW) I've hung one 400W High Pressure Sodium (High Intensity Discharge) Light above my Amaryllis and it seems to barely do the trick. These puppies need THAT much light while they're in growth. Hopefully you can keep yours growing and then in spring, put it outside where it can get full sun to keep regenerating the bulb.

Cheers,

Gerard.

• ces797
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, thanks so much
    Good information
    So if it doesn't get proper full sun lighting during the initial growth phase of the flower, but it still flowers does that impede on the future years flowering/growing process?
    So I guess I'm asking if it only get's artificial light in the winter and then in the summer if I put it out in the full sun do I still have much chance of it flowering again next year?

• cuddlyotter
    15 years ago

Not necessarily but if the bulb doesn't get enough light during the phase when the leaves grow, it may not flower well if at all in subsequent years. You'd notice this by the fact the bulb would slowly shrink in size until there is not much left. I've had this happen from time to time. So by providing as much artificial light as you can and then getting your Amaryllis out in full sun in spring that might do the trick. It's hard to say. Being out in full sun from approximately May through Sept might be enough for it to keep it self in good shape. Keep it in as much light indoors as you can and then get it outside in spring (after the frosts are done) and you should have decent results.

The other thing to do is periodically give it fertilizer from the the time the leaves start to develop onwards. Some growers on this forum treat their Amaryllis as houseplants, just keeping them in growth and they enjoy flowers periodically throughout the year. Others will follow a regime of forcing their Amaryllis to go dormant in the fall by drying them off and putting them through a cool period (55ºF, 13ºC) for about 6 - 8 weeks after which time they bring them back into growth.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions