Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromaloonie

Is this a Bromeliad?

bromaloonie
15 years ago

I know, I know....a really silly question probably

My husband brought this clump home from the tip . He plonked it under the banana plants. it looked like a clump of Broms to him so he thought bringing me home a pressy would be nice...lol...ugly thing....lol

So now im actually wondering if it is a brom?

Its a spikey thing and looks like a brom but the base of the plant does not hold the characteristics of what i call a bromeliad base, all the plants are along a stem....and even the root system is strange too?

Tell me what you guys think please

I will watch for a flower too one of these days, i know that would help in the ID if it is a brom

{{gwi:450067}}

{{gwi:450069}}

Comments (17)

• stephania
    15 years ago

Where did your darling got the plant?
    Yes it look like a brom, may be a member in genus Bromelia.
    BTW it also look like a Pandanus too.

Chanin in 'Xeric Garden'

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My darling got it from the tip...the dump...the place where people chuck their rubbish, their waste...LOL

ahhhhhh yes a possible pandanus...hmmmmmmmmm?????

• neomea
    15 years ago

Ah the good old pineapple run to the tips! Believe me I got mine there too! Bit of a weedy number as it produces plenty pups from the fruit. So Pineapple it is and as you know...it is a brom!

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

awwwwwwww not another ruddy pineapple....*pouts*
    looks like I had better get it in some sun now then.

actually I did wonder if it was a pine but it doesnt look like all my other pines? Its very skinny, my other pines are chunky.

Thanks neomea

Cheers Germaine

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Yep Gem, I agree with Dennis. It looks like Ananas comosus var. bracteatus (formerly Ananas bracteatus), or common name "the red - or pink - pineapple".
    If you grow it in half to full day sun, the leaves turn bronze-coloured. Here are a couple of photos of mine. The first photo's pineapple had just finished flowering. The second photo shows the flowers well on a more recent fruit on the same clump - now much larger and more shaded.

{{gwi:450071}}

{{gwi:450073}}

As well as sending offsets from the base of the plant, the fruit also develops numerous offsets - as top-knots, and from the base of the fruit. In a few years, you might be returning some of them to the dump! Meanwhile, enjoy their dramatic foliage and stunning fruit - but they are more decorative than tasty.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OHHHHHHHHH WOW Kerry, well thats just beautiful and so new to me, so at the moment I will love it. Thanks for your photos there showing me its flower/ fruit.

You know I was only just thinking of you today....:O...Yep I was...LOL
    I was tying some broms on a couple of branches using the method you so generously emailed to me months ago.(wondering if I had emailed you in return thanking you?) I had my little strips of ribbing in hand and thinking how easy it was and thanking you all the way...LOL
    So thankyou Kerry :-x

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wooops... a couple too many words of thinking and thanking that one little post....excuse me...LOL...obviously my head is not on right tonight...i need sleep....lol

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Now Gem, don't get down in the 'dumps'. Wouldn't your rather have a surprise bromeliad than a big bunch of roses. What does your beloved get in return? Lot of fruit salad? LOL
    photobucket.com/albums/oo5/freckydecks/441.jpg"; border="0" alt="Ananus comosus var. bracteatus">

• nebu
    15 years ago

Can you eat that red pineapple that kerry t posted? I have a tri-color and have heard conflicting reports on if I can eat it or not.

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL....Jennie...absolutely, he has brought me home many a brom from the tip...LOL, usually on their last legs, but they always throw me a pup.
    Hey? i cant see your picture, i can only see a bunch of mumbo jumbo...heheeeee,

Nebu...can ya wait a couple of years and I will let you know...LOL...I always love trying something new

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Gem - you're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome :)

Nebu - all pineapples are edible. My daughter even ate a pygmy pine, and lived to tell the tale. She said it was crunchy and tasteless. I haven't eaten any of my red pineapples. As mentioned, they are more decorative than tasty - same for your tri-color.
    It's the commercially-grown strains, developed for their texture, sweetness, flavour and juiciness, that are the best for eating.
    You will survive eating your tri-color pine, but I doubt you will go back for a second serving.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• nebu
    15 years ago

haha, thanks for the feedback Kerry. Is it hard to tell if the red pineapple is ripe? It just looks so good!

Are those red ones you got there in full sun?

• stephania
    15 years ago

I agree with Kerry, they are all edible (^_*)"

Year ago I and my friend visited to a brom collection at Ban Kampu Tropical Gallery
    We had tried to eat this tiny pineapple, it's quite pretty good.

{{gwi:450075}}

{{gwi:450078}}

{{gwi:450081}}

{{gwi:450084}}

{{gwi:450087}}

• nebu
    15 years ago

WOW, what in the world is that?? That is THE strangest pineapple I have seen.

Thanks for posting Stephania. -Nick

• bromaloonie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HOW AMAZING IS THAT.....WOW

I doubt we have them in Australia?

• neomea
    15 years ago

Flippin *&%$.... That pine IS amazing!

• stephania
    15 years ago

I have no idea what is its cultivar name, but our Thai vernacular name means
    "thousand-buds pineapple"
    I'm not sure if there is two clone which look different in color or not.
    I found this purple clone at a brom collection here.

{{gwi:450089}}

When the buds get bigger, you may need the whole yard to grow them (^_*)"

{{gwi:450092}}

Sponsored
More Discussions