Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curiouscomputer

Lots of miscellaneous stuff

curiouscomputer
15 years ago

been busy. weather. vacation. here's what's new w/me!

went on vacation back home in hawaii over the holidays. went to kapiolani community college gardens, koko head crater gardens, and a few others. took some nice pics, i will try to post soon.

the bursera fagaroides i thought was going dormant decided to leaf out anew while i was gone... it's growing again..

new plants:

2 x brighamia insignis!

portulacaria afra cuttings

senecio pendulus

euphorbia cylindrifolia

plants that died:

seeding avonia quinaria alstonii went to mush :(

seedling pelargonium triste went to mush :(

begonia dregei cross is flowering! first time since i've had it. i repotted it about 1 month before...

2 x dioscoreas elephantipes that went dormant at the end of summer have sprouted anew. one has put out 2 vines!

got Succulent and Xerophytic Plants of Madagascar, Vol. 1 & 2 for christmas :)

hope all is well with everyone :)

Comments (11)

• curiouscomputer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

also got an unknown glottiphyllum and some pseudolithos seeds :)

• caudex1
    15 years ago

What did you think of Kapiolani and Koko Head?

Too bad about the mushed plants, surprised triste bought the farm. Avonia I can see, any water at all wile dormant will send over the edge.

• curiouscomputer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

KCC and koko head were both awesome. I took alot of pics. The adansonias were huge, yet, i know they get so much bigger! The adenia globosa at KCC was impressive too. alot of un-named plants I will have to figure out what they are. my old neighbors and aunt have/had some nice jatropha podagricas. i'm going to try to get one, or at least some seeds.

• caudex1
    15 years ago

I was at KCC in Oct and Koko in 2005, both were more impressive than what I read about them.

• joscience
    15 years ago

All that new stuff and *no* pictures?! I want my money back!

Seriously though, sounds like you picked up some good stuff. How big are your Brighamia? Being a Hawaii kind of guy, have you ever gone to search for the remaining populations in habitat? That is one species I'd really love to see in the wild. Great books too. Now you can spend hours drooling and adding names to your wish list. ;-) My favorite is vol II, as it seems to give more attention to the pachycauls of the island.

I really hope to be seeing some pictures from the gardens you visited. The ones Caudex showed a while back were spectacular, and I trust yours are too.

• curiouscomputer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here's the pics! better late than never. at least the pics of my new plants. trip pics to follow...

brighamia insignis with size reference drink :) :
    {{gwi:471365}}

portulacaria afra cuttings (mother plant was my grandmother's):
    {{gwi:471366}}

euphorbia cylindrifolia:
    {{gwi:471367}}

senecio pendulus:
    {{gwi:471368}}

glottiphyllum:
    {{gwi:471370}}

ice plant. carpobrotus?
    {{gwi:471371}}

new plants...

leuchtenbergia principis:
    {{gwi:471372}}

mestoklema tuberosum:
    {{gwi:471373}}

volunteer seedling unknown... mestoklema tuberosum? or maybe tylecodon....
    {{gwi:471374}}

• caudex1
    15 years ago

Your volunteer is another Mestoklema, I get a few every year in the surrounding area.

Your poor Brighamia was grown way too fast in low light when it was young, the new growth looks much better. Give it as much light as possible so it keep that tight growth and fatten up, also it is a winter grower.

• curiouscomputer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Mestoklema from my 2nd to last pic is my only Mestoklema. I bought it with old flowers/seed pods still attached. Yippee! It was right next to that Avonia, so that must be it.

One of my Brighamia's is suffering from some biting mites, causing the leaves to bleed their sappy latex. :(

The same store where I got those Brighamia's from also sold some smaller 3" baby Brighamia's planted "on lava rock". They were very cute and tempting. I resisted though. Here is a pic of 2 other "on lava rock" plants from my previous trip to Hawaii:

Left is a variegated Schefflera, right is an Anthurium.

{{gwi:471375}}

You keep the lava rocks in a small saucer of water. Both of Mine are doing well after 2 years, though the Anthurium has yet to flower again. Lately I have seen them for sale at the local Home Depot.

• curiouscomputer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, procrastination completed. Here are cactii/succulent highlights from my hawaii trip. Most of these are from the Kapiolani Community College gardens, or the Hawaii Kai Xeriscape garden. Both free to visit.

Me at KCC. Some adeniums right behind me, and aloe flowers in the front.
    {{gwi:471376}}

{{gwi:471377}}

{{gwi:471378}}

an unusual unnamed...Senecio? If anyone knows, please tell :)
    {{gwi:471379}}

{{gwi:471380}}

giant adenia globosa, i think. if i could have gotten close enough to hug it, I don't think I could have gotten my fingertips to touch... very impressive caudex.
    {{gwi:471381}}

large crested euphorbia neriifolia
    {{gwi:471382}}

{{gwi:471383}}

my wife with a sea of aloe flowers
    {{gwi:471384}}

jatropha podagrica
    {{gwi:471386}}

{{gwi:471388}}

{{gwi:471390}}

adansonia digitata at the hawaii kai xeriscape garden
    {{gwi:471391}}

the trunk split here
    {{gwi:471392}}

{{gwi:471393}}

another baobab at a different botanical garden in the city

• joeplant
    15 years ago

wow impressive. joe

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Wasnt enough for Hawaiins to have the best Palm and fern gardens-now they have to have the best looking DRY plants too?
    That last photo is the biggest non native African Baobab i've seen in photos. Awesome plant..the texture looks Disney created.
    I got a kick out of the Jatropha "turnip".