Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larschar

I'm not sure what this is.....

larschar
15 years ago

A very kind old woman in my area gave me a bunch of baby bulbs from this mother plant. For the life of me, I have no idea what it is. I can say that a teeny tiny little bulb has just sprouted a flower stalk. Weird. I've never had one of my babies do this so young. They grow oh so fast ;-) So how do I post the picture? I'm so lost.

Comments (17)

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm a fool. lol I'll put in my flickr link right to the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: I hope this works.

• gone2seed
    15 years ago

Sprekelia maybe??

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking that perhaps, but isn't sprekelia a little more spidery? I just want a name to stick on these puppies. I have a ton of bulbs and I just can't bear to have any unidentified. lol I'm neurotic.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It's definitely Hippeastrum, but which variety I couldn't say for certain... it could even be a species type...

Sprekelia is deep red, and the flowers have a different shape.

Perhaps someone could check out your link and let us know which variety this is ... it's very pretty!

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, thanks for the compliment! Yeah, it's just so different than what I'm used to dealing with. We're talking TINY bulbs that are blooming. I've never seen anything like this in my amaryllis collecting time :-)

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just finished up ordering 8, yes EIGHT new bulbs from van engelen. My poor husband :-) lol I have, like 40 bulbs now! lol This was my first time with this company. Can anyone tell me what their favorite suppliers are? I love to talk hippis!!!!!!!!!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

The flower resembles my Striatum Miss Ethel. Some of your stalks are quite tall. Mine first bloomed last year, and perhaps will produce longer scapes this season.
    {{gwi:435837}}From Amaryllis

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

You've come to the right place! Welcome!

Having 40 bulbs is nothing! Some of us have collected into the hundreds! I'm serious! In my first year collecting, I amassed over 50 bulbs, each a different variety! I'm well over 60 by now, and still going! It's an addiction, but one with wonderful benefits...

I prefer to get my bulbs locally, so I can check them out before buying, but when I do order, I like Royal Colors. John Scheeper's is also a good company, as is Brent & Becky's... and there are several more that others here would recommend.

If you Google Hippeastrum or Amaryllis, you'll come up with tons of links to places that sell bulbs!

Welcome... and good luck!

• npublici
    15 years ago

It's appearance is very close to H.sp Blossfleldiae.
    However,also H.sp Petiolatum and H.sp Striatum.Some varieties of H.sp Evansieae also bear a resemblance.
    It also could be an expression of genes from early
    in a long chain of hybridization envolving one of these species.The fact that it blooms from a small bulb moves the evidence closer to it being a species.If it breeds true to it's self,it more probably is a species.The exception to that is, if it has been inbred,to become "fixed". DEL

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Having hundreds of them would be heaven. My goal is to have all of them, but we'll see. I started my love in February of this year and I'm hooked. Aren't these amazing creatures? I also forced a bunch of paperwhites indoors this fall. Turns out, I HATE THEM. Pretty little things, but ugh. They smell like puppy tinkle. They are in the process of being exiled to the greenhouse.

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, I really think its a striatum Miss Ethel or an H. punecium.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I laughed so hard that coffee almost came out my nose! I haven't heard anyone call it "tinkle" since my Mom was alive! Thank you so much for the wonderful, funny memory! Honestly, I didn't know anyone else called it that! My Mom was notorious for saying, "Go make tinkle!" LOL! What a childhood memory!

Anyway... we're glad to welcome another addict into the fold! See how easy it is to fall in love with these wonderful bulbs?! I began last fall with two bulbs that I'd had for a few years... and today, I'm well over the 60 bulb mark, and still collecting! There are so many lovely hybrid varieties, and species, and the cybisters and miniatures... and the doubles... it's enough to make your head spin!

There's just something wonderful about a bulb that blooms once a year with such a large and unique flower... the anticipation of waiting for that flower to show itself is something we're all hooked on!

Excuse me while I take my dogs, Maia and Huck, out to tinkle! LOL!

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for the welcome! Yeah, I'm a stay-at-home mom/plant lady. I have a 7yr old daughter and an 11mo old son. We hear a lot of talk about "tinkle!" hahahaha I'm glad to have made you laugh. I've very excited to find this forum and would love to become one of the "group." If anyone is in my area (Manhattan Kansas), please come visit Homestead Floral-Greenhouse-Produce in the growing season. That's us!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm a mother of 3, and now a grandmother of 3! I'm stay- at-home, but not by choice... I'm partially disabled. I fight Lupus and injuries from an auto accident on a daily basis, but I'm very lucky to still be able to garden!

I was so happy to find this forum last year... I stopped in to ask a question, and I've been here ever since! The people here are the best, nicest, most generous people on the entire internet, and I'm proud to call them all my friends!

It's really their fault that I'm so addicted to Hippeastrum bulbs... enablers, every one! The best I can do is continue the process and pass on the addiction!

For those of us in the northern zones, Hippeastrum bulbs are a Godsend! They keep the winter blues at bay long enough for spring to arrive every year! I just love my bulb collection, and couldn't imagine not having all these awesome plants to care for! I grow mine as houseplants, never forcing a dormancy... although, I've been thinking about trying it on a few bulbs, mainly to have winter color from bulbs I already have! Otherwise, I'll have to buy new ones every year... wait, that's not so bad!

I've even branched out into other Amaryllids and tender unique bulbs. It's a bulb thing!

Anyway... welcome to the group! It's the time of year where bulb purchasing and growing is in full swing, and the photos are just starting as bulbs begin to bloom! It gets pretty interesting around here! We talk about all sorts of stuff, and in the off-season, I post photos of my gardens outside just to keep the color and flowers going!

Once, we even posted photos of ourselves... Cindee started a thread... it was great! We all got to "meet each other", sort of! We should do it again!

Well... you'll have to excuse me... gotta tinkle! LOL!

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol Tinkle. Now you made me lol! Anyhoo, I made a thread. Go reply! Go reply!!!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

larschar-I have to say hello and welcome to the forum. Your posts are just making me smile. You have so much energy! Puppy tinkle INDEED!!! Wherever you are getting your energy from, I hope you will spread it around!

I have no children, never been married, actually. I live in sin with a wonderful Old Man and his grown son and we have a great life! I love my plants and hubby loves to build things. Son DAn just watches us crazy ol fools and shakes his head...LOL

I just love your Amaryllis enthusiasm, it's contageous!

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Cindee. I've always been a little over-zealous. Can you tell I was a cheerleader? I survive on a lot of coffee so caffeine helps. Oh, and I have the excitement level of a child when it comes to pretty things like flowers :-) I have the same affinity for pretty yarn :-)

My hubby likes to build things, too. Birdhouses are a big deal here on the farm. You should see how overrun we are with birdhouse gourds! Two large tables in the greenhouse.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions