Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Have extra P. suberosa seeds

karyn1
14 years ago

Hi. I lurk here often and post occasionally. I still have a lot of passiflora suberosa seeds that I collected in late Jan if anyone wants some for a sasbe or trade. They aren't the prettiest passion vine but are a great host plant.

Comments (13)

• janetg57
    14 years ago

I would love to get some P. suberosa seeds from you for a SASBE. Please let me know where to send it.

Thanks,
    Janet

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

If you've ever seen the "Rate and Review Exchanges", you'll discover how professional and generous Karyn really is and how people are thrilled with her seeds and trades!

Gotta plug you Karyn cuz you are all over the GW! I don't know how you do it either - you must have thousands and thousands of plants.

I'm sure you don't know me, but you can't possibly be a member of GW and not know who you are! Keep up the good work!

Susan

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan that was such a nice thing to say. Thank you very much. I don't believe that we've exchanged plants or seeds in the past but I've read a number of your posts, especially on this forum.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

No, but I just follow a lot of your posts on this and many other forums, Karyn!

• jrcagle
    14 years ago

Hi Karyn,

So do you get Gulf Frits on the passiflora? I've not seen any up my way.

Jeff

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

P. suberosa is only hardy to zone 8 from what I understand. You could grow it in a pot maybe, where it can be brought inside over winter in colder zones. But P. suberosa is reportedly used as a host plant for GFs.

Susan

• mssunflower
    14 years ago

After reading this post, I wonder if that is the type of passiflora that I have. It has come back very year, but then it's root system is located under a stack of concrete blocks. It winds its way through all the holes. Last year I had a couple of stems come out just on the outside of the stack. The Gulf Fritallaries stripped it by the end of the season and the two or three blooms that I got on it were pretty pitiful.
    Ms. Faith

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Faith, you probably have P. incarnata. It has a habit of showing up in a different place year to year. Do you ever find Variegated Fritillaries on yours?

So good to hear from you!

Susan

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Karyn, I have lots of corkystem/p.suberosa, how do you harvest the seeds? Let the berries dry out? I've never looked for seeds.
    But the GFs here (and the zebras and occasional julia) LOVE the P. suberosa.
    kelly

• mssunflower
    14 years ago

I had my first Gulf Frit Cats last year on my passionvine and even saw a couple of chrysalis' but never got to see them emerge from the chrysalis. They always seemed to do this after I went to work. I know it is early for it to be emerging, but I keep checking to see if there are any new sprouts. I really enjoyed watching the cats last year and look forward to seeing more of them. We had a slew of Gulf Frit butterflies last year and I hope we have a good show of them this year.
    Ms. Faith

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started growing passion vines about 10-15 years ago in the hopes of attracting Gulf Fritillary butterflies. In all this time I've seen exactly 1 GF cat but I did become obsessed with passifloras and have about 30 varieties. lol

I keep the suberosa in the greenhouse over the winter. If I don't get fruit on my plants here there's plenty that grows wild in the yard in FL and it's ripe when I'm there over the winter. I pick the fruit when it's dark purple, almost black. Sometimes I'll squeeze the seeds out or I'll just allow the fruit to dry with the seeds still in it. Unlike the larger fruited varieties the suberosa fruit will dry completely and not get sticky.

Ms Faith I agree with Susan that you likely have P. incarnata which is a much prettier plant then suberosa.

• mssunflower
    14 years ago

After Susan and Karyn have both voiced that they think I have the P. incarnata, maybe I need to fertilize what I have, because the one or two flowers that I got on it last year were really pitiful, very small and very undeveloped. Thanks to both of you for your input. Karyn, I hope you get some Gulf Frit Cats, because they really are fun to watch and the chrysalis is very interesting, also.
    Ms. Faith

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

Karyn ~

Do you still have seeds available?

~ Amy