Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrollo_gw

need help with ID for mystery Aechmea

scrollo
13 years ago

I got this from a friend a few years ago and always love the flowers, which usually last 6 months. The plant is about 24" and the stalk about 30" - I'm sure it would be more compact with less shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery bromeliad

Comments (7)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Looks like Ae. ramosa to me. There are different forms of that species. Some (like cv. Festiva) are more compact with upright inflorescences, while others can get fairly big and the flower spikes tend to flop over. Foliage color can vary too, as you can see in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea ramosa

• scrollo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, it looks like some of the ramosa pics, but none are exactly right. It's not compact at all, and the spikes do droop but not flop... with a little more light it looks amazing.

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Here's another vote for a form of Aechmea ramosa.
    As you already stated, yours might be more compact if grown in less shade. Mine grow in various degrees of light, and in lightly-shaded conditions look very much like yours, Scrollo. I would describe the large flower spikes as "drooping", but some also "flop".

If it's not a form of ramosa, it could be Aechmea 'David Barry' - a hybrid with ramosa as a parent.

Kerry

• scrollo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kerry, yes it looks like 'David Barry', except that on the BSI page there seem to be two different plants - one with yellow berries, like mine, and one with white ones. And the description says "white berries."

Here is a link that might be useful: 'David Barry' at BSI

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Well for me it looks like Ae Ramosa . and the fact that it says on BSI that the plant of 'David Barry' has white berries does not preclude other plants from the same grex having yellow berries and circulating as ' David Barry ',and Scrollo if you still are not sure ,grow a piece of the plant in the correct amount of light it requires and see what happens ,at least that way you will eliminate that part of the I.D "problem"

Jack

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I'm not seeing any significant difference between the plant in your picture, scrollo, and the one in Geoff Lawn's photo in my link above. The inflorescences on Geoff's plant look a bit more mature, hence the riper, fatter, yellower berries, the weight of which are pulling it down a bit more. Other than that, it looks like a good match to me.

• aroideana
    13 years ago

What about servitensis ? or penduliflora ?