Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

Passion Vine

wifey2mikey
13 years ago

Going to plant one this year for the first time - as is my sister in Ft. Worth. We've read some conflicting information about red passion vines being toxic to the caterpillars. That's the only color we can find locally. I know there are some very knowledgable people here - HELP! :-)

~Laura in Tulsa, OK

Comments (20)

• fighting8r
    13 years ago

Oh I wish I could help. I know from experience that they can live on some red passionvines (I have raised them on reds, although I no longer have any red varieties). But I do not know the specifics of what kind those are. Do you know the name(s) of the ones available locally?
    kelly

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

If I were you, and I could only find reds to buy, I'd order either a P. incarnata or P. caerulea. These two are the two most cold hardy vines that I know of - P. lutea isn't really a vine - so you should be able to plant them in the ground, and they're both good for gulf frits and variegated frits. Any red flowering passionvines that you find to buy are most likely toxic, plus they won't overwinter, unless you raise them in a pot, then bring them in during the winter - even then, it's hard to keep passionvines vigorous at any time of year in a pot. The only red I know of that isn't toxic is 'Lady Margaret' whose flowers are actually burgundy - one of its parents is P. incarnata, so I guess that's why it's non-toxic. Even so, when I had some, the frits only laid eggs on them when the P. incarnatas were already full of caterpillars. And I've read that they almost never use the other red-flowering types.
    Sherry

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Marilyn with Wild Things Nursery should have some passionvines. She sells through Farmers Markets. I think she's going to be in Tulsa soon.

Yes, she is:

April 16th (Sat) Sand Springs Herbal Affair* 9:ish - 4:00 Downtown

April 23rd (Sat) Jenks Herb "N" Plant Festival* 9:00 - 5 :00 Downtown

There are several places to order them on the 'net, if you prefer to do it that way.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Things Nursery

• angie83
    13 years ago

Also I have great luck with these 2 ebay sellars huge plant and fastshipping passiflorista and georgiavines good luck I have over 100 passifloras and they all get eat to ground every year but I so love GF butterflys they worth it to me Constance Eliott seem to be the faviorite type for me here.
    Angie

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Hi, WTM,

It's Sandy!! Groggs' Green Barn just got a shipment of Passionvine in today. It's the native kind. GGB is located on 61st street across from Union 6th and 7th grade center.

You'll be happy with what you get there--everything is grown organically. And, besides, they need our support!!

Sandy

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Groggs' Green Barn sounds great, just the place to go!

Sherry

• annainok
    13 years ago

My passion vines are not up yet, but I'll happily share as I did last year. Just let me know!

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Sandy - I will stop by there on my way home tomorrow. I have driven by once but they weren't open yet. I read about them in the paper though and was really excited! I am going to buy some passion vine tomorrow! YAY!

~Laura

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Sandy - I stopped by Grogg's Green Barn today and left with a Passiflora Incarnata and four other plants! :-) I will definitely be going back there. I didn't have as much time as I wanted to shop today! Thanks again for the tip!

~Laura

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

One day I'm probably going to be overrun with passionvines. I keep buying them every year! Most of the ones I can get locally are p. caerulea I think, so I don't trust they they are really hardy. I want to work on adding some p. incarnata.

As I was planting my newest one, I did notice I had a small passion vine popping up around one of my clematises. I'm not sure if it moved itself or I planted them side by side...no telling at this point :)

I **think** I spied a aristolochia popping up where I planted one last year. It languished so much I was sure it wouldn't come back.

Lisa

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Lisa, it seems like it takes forever for my passion vines to break dormancy. I have a tiny shoot of incarnata coming up, but Lavendar Lady won't be up until late May or June. Once it comes up, it grows like there's no tomorrow, but until then...

Susan

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

I finally got a good start on some Passiflora incarnata last year here in my zone 7a yard. When would I expect to see it coming back? I sure hope it comes back. I had a nice fence full of it last year.~~Angie

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Angie,

Passionvine has a habit of popping up all over the place, but the place where you planted it! Actually, you should be seeing suckers soon. I have some up in my yard and I'm in 6B/7A. But, my main plant has yet to come back. It is always later than the little suckers. Prepare yourself for the "passionvine sprawl"!

This year I have ordered some new Edulis passionvines from Almost Eden. These are the edible passionfruits. They aren't really hardy here, so I'll grow them in huge pots. When in Laos, I developed a taste for Passionfruit cupcakes, and Passionfruit syrup on pancakes! My kids serve these at the cafe. They make it from fruit they buy in the marketplace. (I miss the marketplace and the fresh fruits available) So . . . I'm going to see what I can do to have my own passionfruit. It's very healthy. I also like Mango syrup. Tastes peachy!!

sandy

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Sandy, I visited Almost Eden today, their website that is, and they have P. edulis listed as hardy to zone 6. I didn't think it was that hardy. Had to do a double take. But, they also listed a hybrid of edulis as hardy to zone 6 as well. Is this true? That would be great if it is that hardy. I'd have to get some of that.

Susan

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Susan,

I didn't remember seeing that. Wow, if that's true, I'm set to go, I've got a great place for a permanent planting.

I got the P edulis and the other one recommended for fruit production. Figured I'd get good pollination that way.

Sandy

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Susan,

I really didn't look at the hardiness listing on Almost Eden, as I now remember I researched the plants I wanted and then ordered them. I went back just now and checked the sites and all of them say Edulis is 8a hardy at the most (Most say zone 10). I ordered the Purple possum as it was highly recommended on sites I visited, also the Hawaiian one. I'll provide winter protection by bringing them in in the fall.

Wonder if anyone has had experience growing these varieties?

sandy

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Thanks Sandy. The more...the merrier...I say!! I will watch for it to pop up, and then I will transplant the pop-ups to the fence line. Wooooooo-hooooo!! Come on Passionvine!!! You can never have too many host plants. :o)

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Are my eyes crossed or what? Says zone 6 on my end.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: P. edulis var. flava

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

I was at Lowe's in Fort Worth & Weatherford & they all had P. caerulea plants galore. I have it here in my yard for years in several locations & it is the favorite Passiflora! I have Maypop too & the GFs all but ignore it. They also had a cultivar that I've never seen before that I am posting a seperate thread about to see if it is OK for the Gulf Frits???

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Susan,

You're right, Almost Eden does say that the Edulis is zone 6 hardy. But check other sites. I couldn't find any other site that agreed with this.

Sandy

Sponsored