Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcoleus_gw

Pretty cool stuff....for me

barbcoleus
16 years ago

These are seeds of Neo Zonata and Hannibal Lector from Bob. It's too bad I can't take better pictures but you get the idea

{{gwi:470289}}

Comments (22)

• bob740
    16 years ago

Very good Barb ! first pics posted, so you win a trip to Hawaii,courtesy of Lisa ! ^_*
    [ps,..there Will be a test on picture taking in the near future !! ]
    Bob ;)

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

How are everyone's seedlings coming along? Any other updates?

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Just for Bob..some seed pictures..I went rain, mosquito's and thunder for these BOB :)
    {{gwi:470290}}
    {{gwi:470291}}
    {{gwi:470292}}
    {{gwi:470293}}
    {{gwi:470294}}
    {{gwi:470295}}

• bob740
    16 years ago

And well worth the trip hdd !
    Wow!,yours are really coming along,growth is ahead of mine,
    and I started mine before you did.
    Texas weather... I need some.(minus the mosquitoes)
    Bob ;)

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

And mine just starting to germinate (sown only 10 days ago), so not really anything to take a picture of yet! And I had the misfortune to tip my container over, so my seeds are sort of mixed with the sphagnum moss now!

HDD you got 'thousands'!!! Have you got a farm where you are going to grow them out? I still have to get to the stage where I can just see GREEN!

• barbcoleus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WooooWoooo A trip to Hawaii, Is that where I'll be taking my remedial photography class?

Also I know they are seedLINGS not seeds.

Barb who is packed and on the way to airport.

• bob740
    16 years ago

HDD,
    are the last two the Ursulaea Macvaughii seedlings ?
    Bob

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Yes Bob planted 3 weeks apart as an experiment

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Is that seed from the one that Michael had? You're gunna be loaded with them!

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

uh huh lots of seedlings

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

My turn.

Neo. zonata just up!

{{gwi:470297}}

Yesterday

{{gwi:470298}}

Hannibal Lecter yesterday.

{{gwi:470300}}

Fosterella spectabilis yesterday.

{{gwi:470301}}

Mixed Neo. seed sent as a gift by an e-bay seller.

{{gwi:470303}}

{{gwi:470305}}

• stephania
    16 years ago

I've noticed that HDD's sowing mix are quite vary, they look different in ingredient.
    Yet, they also look quite coarse, comparing to the other's.

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

Stephania, I am using peat moss pellets that have been soaked and removed from the netting. I noticed the same thing you did. It lookns like a soiless potting mix.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I found it eliminates handling and culling the seedlings before they are strong enough to move in to their own containers..one less transplanting for me and only the strong survive

• devo_2006
    16 years ago

Good post Barb, I had been wondering how all those HL's were doing. Bob, you must feel like a proud Dad seeing the "kids" doing so well.

And here's a photo of my HL F2s. Now almost 2 mths old.

{{gwi:470307}}

It is interesting to see a range of media being used to grow these Neo's, & all seem to be doing well. Mine are growing in a 50/50 mix of perlite & palm peat. I find this mix works well with my seed rasing set up, as it holds moisture without becoming soggy, does not compact, & encourages good root growth. I follow HDD's theory...the less transplanting the better. This batch of H.L, (& these others) will hopefully be ready to go out into the plastic house in another 4 to 6 mths.

{{gwi:470308}}

• minibim
    16 years ago

How long do they take to germinate? I'm hoping I didn't bake mine from the plastic container I used.

Moved them back into the house to get out of the heat. Mine are in sphagnum, but I don't think I will use that again. Seems like it is keeping them a little to moist.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

DO not put them in the sun// any real shady warm spot is good

• barbcoleus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine are under the lights I use to grow Gesneriads, I only took them outside to take this picture. I do have a spot on my covered lanai outside so I might take the cover off permanently and grow them there. I like sphagnum to grow stuff that could be difficult. It seems to leave a a lot of room for error wet or dry

• bob740
    16 years ago

Seems all the planting mediums used by everyone work real well.The mix hdd has looks a lot like we use at the bbg,called 50-50 mix,(I forget the mfg.)which has a lot of ground up bark in it,and the broms there thrive in it,being loose and airy.Needs watering often tho,but thats what we hort.volunteers are for ;-) Glad to see so many successful germinations out there from NZ to SA. Might HL take over the brom world in a couple of years? Hmmmm.
    Bob

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I make my own soil mix for all my plants

• patusho25
    16 years ago

Oh well, mine never arrived, perhaps they're in the twighlight zone or something like that??? lol

• bob740
    16 years ago

patusho25,
    If you still want some HL seeds,I have some for you.
    You may have tried to email me once before,but I never received your 'ship-to' address. Try again,use my email address on 'My Page',but type it on your browser and send it direct,NOT by the Garden Web email,as GW mail Does Not Work at times.
    Bob

Sponsored