Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearlgirl_gw

time to get those hands DIRTY!!

pearlgirl
14 years ago

I've seen a very good forecast for the next seven days.

I hope you will have some of the same. Gotta get those

holes ready for the trumpets and other treasures. I'm

starting to become overwhelmed.....again!! LOL!

Happy Spring.

Margaret

Comments (16)

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Margaret, the time is definitely getting closer. I can't wait so I can plant my cuttings outdoors!

• chena
    14 years ago

Won't be long now. Rain today and into next week.. BUT nice enough to move some things out to enjoy it.. I'll take Rain any day ..We never get enough..LOL

• hong2007
    14 years ago

Im starting some sage, mourning bride,morning glory bush seeds in the ground this week :)

• taz56
    14 years ago

We are haven nice weather this week to ,no freeze, I'm
    getting that ich real bad to dig in the dirt lol!
    Susan

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

I'm getting that 'dirt' itch too! :)

Mike

• knotz
    14 years ago

I was outside ALL weekend pulling weeds and LOVED IT!!!...I also started some vegies in the house...Can't wait for them to sprout....

Now they're saying a chance of snow for Monday/Tuesday, but shouldn't be ANYTHING like you guys in the Mid/East Coast had it.

knotz

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It was beautiful outside today, mid 50's. Snowdrps and crocus are in bloom and almost all of the snow has melted. Unfortunately several of my trees lost limbs and many shrubs are mishappen from the weight of the snow. My 7' Scotch Brooms are pretty much horizontal. lol At least I was finally able to go outside and look at everything without freezing. Tomorrow is supposed to be 60!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Today will be a great day for me sow some more seeds and to get out in the yard, after I go out to lunch with a friend. Hopefully we are done with the rain for a bit. The ground is soaked every where you step. Yesterday I planted about five purple potatoes, and hilled some red potatoes that had a bit of growth. This is my first time growing potatoes so wish me luck!

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Eloise, you are going to love fresh potatoes, they taste like nothing out of the store !

Oh, glorious Spring- it's here!! We have rain coming on Thursday and all my brug babies are going to get a rainshower bath. No frost for a week, like Margaret! And I had dirt under my nails yesterday, yay! My digging was getting up an invasive plant that I thought our 11* weather was going to kill- it didn't, so out it came!
    Have fun playing in the dirt!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Brenda's right, fresh potatoes are soooo good. I tried a different way of growing them last year (different for me). We grew them in straw. It was really easy and you didn't have to dig them out of the dirt.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing spuds in straw

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Great idea Karyn! I will have to try it this summer. Can potatoes be grown in some shade or does it need full sun?
    Thanks.
    -Bo

• chena
    14 years ago

I love fresh potatoes..Here in Texas some afternoon shade is a big help! I always have potatoes that grow in the compost pile YUM!!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Brenda and Karyn, well good and now I am really excited about growing my own potatoes! Thx for the website Karyn, maybe next year I might tried the straw method. I have three black 'bins' that I grow some of my tomatoes, herbs, etc., but I am using one to grow the potatoes for now. The other two have garlic, marjoram and I saw a lone epazote - see!
    {{gwi:463322}}{{gwi:463323}}{{gwi:463324}}

The screening on the potatoes was so the squirrels/raccoons wouldn't dig up the seed potatoes. I will eventually take it off.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

It's so refreshing to see some emerald green! Your herbs look so happy! Thanks for sharing your garden pictures, Eloise!!!

Pam

• pearlgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yum! Fresh potatoes sound good...especially home grown.
    I'm thinking of trying a few this year.(the red ones)
    Margaret

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Thanks Pam and Margaret! I hope to get enough potatoes to make up for the $4 paid for each small bag of seed potatoes, LOL! I can't recall ever eating homegrown potatoes. Maybe when I was small, but this is my first planting and I am excited about it.

The marjoram just grows and grows. When I planted it a couple of years ago, I thought it was great, but I really don't use it that much. It grows with no help from me so I would hate to get rid of the plant, although I do thin it out every once in a while.