Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjtessanne

new acquisitions

kjtessanne
18 years ago

Here are some new acquisitions that I picked up over the weekend. I'm not sure on some of the labels. Also not sure about the one in the back, I think it is a bromeliad but I don't know which one. I love the purple color though. Enjoy!

Kim

front left to right: agave macroculmis?, agave ferdinand regis X scabra, noid

middle left to right: agave desmettiana variegata, agave karwinskii?

back: bromeliad?

Here is a link that might be useful: purchase

Comments (3)

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

I can only confirm a couple of the id's you already have.

The A. desmettiana looks unhappy right now but time and tlc will fix that.

A. ferdinand regis X scabra is also known as A. sharkskin. It is a fabulous small growing agave with tremendously thick leaves, dark blue 'sharkskin' texture, and stout sharp terminal spines.

And yes, the last plant looks like a bromeliad. Enjoy your new plants!

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

Desert Tropicals lists A. macroculmis as a synonym of A. atrovirens and A. gentryi, both high altitude agaves. The link at the bottom shows mature plants in habitat.

A. karwinskii is legitimate name for an aborescent agave with thin leaves, but I can not confirm your id.

Below is my 'sharkskin' from last spring in a twelve-inch pot before repotting: {{gwi:463159}}

Here is a link that might be useful: A. macroculmis in habitat

• kjtessanne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello!

The one I have labeled as the cross looks a bit more stout on the ends than yours, but I think that may just be hybrid variation. The macroculmis may be correct but it might just be too young to tell. And the karwinskii I'm not so sure of, the one I have has 3 very long thin leaves and the pics I am finding don't match that. Thanks for all your help!

Kim

Sponsored