Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottahosta

Didja learn your lesson?????

gottahosta
16 years ago

Boy, I sure did!!!!!!!!!!!! No more eBay auctions for me, and especially not in the winter!!!!!!

The only ones that survived for me are the ones from Country Gardens and from Mark B. I'm sure if I had purchased some from Seed Sprout during the winter, they would be fine too!!! Oh, my own cuttings did pretty good, lost about 5 % of them or less.

So, what's your tally??? .............Let's NOT tally up the $$$$$ we lost, okey!

Comments (6)

• vaskirt
    16 years ago

Yes , yes, and yes !! I don't even want to know how much $$ I lost buying cuttings.. NEVER again for me. I will only buy in warm weather, and maybe from now on, plants only...still on the fence about this... Edna

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I am still waiting to see if any of the brown sticks will do anything. I lost quite a few that rotted from the top down and I am sure they are toast but haven't thrown them out yet. Am I desperate or what, lol. I have 2 variegated ones that looked fine til they got the fungus gnats. Still waiting to see if they pull through. I have lots of noids that made it but like you said the best things that survived were bought as plants. I will have lots of cuttings from those later but a lot of the things I bought on ebay for 3 cuttings thinking I could have ones to share sooner I have either already given away at Christmas or lost all 3. I will have to look at the name tags since its about time to start repotting. I have been afraid to look and find out an expensive one survived and get too excited and jinx myself, lol. Now that its getting time to do some swap that have been promised its time to look and see what I have left to offer. The biggest lesson I learned is to not try to do so many overwinter in the house and garage, lol. Now the mealy bugs are coming out. Yeesh. Gotta pop out there and spray. Still at home sick but I gotta do it,

• chena
    16 years ago

LOL.. I think I faired pretty well.. I know I lost a few (all 3) but most of them I was able to salvage at least one.. It will be interesting to see once I can start moving them out..I think the one that hurt the worst was Jesse Noel..BIG Crocodile Tears!!!!!
    Sorry to hear you are still sick Kristy... Hope you are feeling better soon...
    Kylie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Thanks Kylie, I felt a little better so I went out and worked on the plants for a while now I am hurting again. I think maybe something kicked off my fibromyalgia. I have been a little sick but more pain than anything. If I do anything I hurt really bad then in the bed a day then do more the next day and then back in the bed a day. I haven't worked but a couple of hours all week. Hubby is not happy but he is letting me stay home to try to get well enough to fish a striper tournament Saturday. I have to work tomorrow though since our other worker just called in sick.

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Oh my did I ever learn a valuable lesson on this brug forum. Mostly if you bought it during the fall/winter it DIED. If someone sent it to you free, most of them lived. LOL

Now I don't know about all of you, but I think I'll be holding my hand up for a bunch of cuttings for free for now on. Well, that is if I can get a job and pay for postage. (I was going to write LOL here, but it really isn't funny, it's sad. I need a job.)

I must say that most of my babies from Karyn and Brenda did beautiful and are growing in the greenhouse. Now the ones I fussed over and kept in the house, they didn't do too well. I think I babied them to death. LOL

Oh, and guess what my seedmat finally came in the mail today. Two months after I ordered it. I told them at the rate they were going I would be able to sow directly into the soil. Oh, don't get me started on that. I can always use it next year, If I can find where I put it. LOL

Brenda my hostas are soooooo beautiful, I've never grown them before. Now I gotta figure out where and how I can get me about 20 more. LOL Got to finish going around all those oak trees.

Kristy, I hope you get to feeling better real soon. It's no fun being sick, hurting, or both. Best of luck in the fishing tournament tomorrow. Get some kid to plant your daffodils. LOL

What about Karyn, how is she after surgery?

Happy Gardening dear friends,
    Love Marian

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I wish I had a kid to do it, lol. I am just planting them around my cherry tree since it is fresh dirt there already and not hard to dig in, lol.