Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blutarski_gw

What is my desert rose trying to tell me?

blutarski
15 years ago

I have a DR in my office, in a bright window that gets direct sun about 6-7 hrs a day. It is blooming nicely, and there is new growth, although I'm not sure if it's going to be leaves or more blooms.

But, it's dropping leaves. The upper branches are wrinkled, but not mushy, and the caudex is firm.

I'm watering when it dries out, usually 1-2 times per week. Feeding weekly.

Is it time to switch to 'tropical plant' mode, or am I watering too much?

These guys are tricky!

Comments (6)

• caudex1
    15 years ago

1st thing to do is unpot and check the roots, rotting will cause what you are describing.

• blutarski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks caudex. Would there be new growth coming on if there was root rot?

One thing I noticed today- with the sun getting higher in the sky each day, the DR isn't getting as much light as I thought. It's down to about 5 hours.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Blutarski, hello again! I didn't realise you had a larger DR. Sorry to learn that you too are having problems. I have also read they like lots of light and fresh air. I have mine in a SW window, I can't provide anything better than that, the sunshine here in the UK is a bonus, we count ourselves fortunate to get 5 hrs a day. At least with the beginning of British Summer Time over this last weekend, we are heading in the right direction!! I have answered your ? back on my thread earlier today. Good luck with yours!!
    Gill.

• wase
    15 years ago

feeding "weekly" is probably too much, especially a plant that is inside..

• xerophyte NYC
    15 years ago

If your plant could speak it would probably say "I wish I was back home in Tanzania, I miss the hot weather"

:-)

I wonder if it's just not hot enough for your plant to be in full-tilt growth mode, so it may not be responding to watering, sun or food the way you may think. Bring the plant outside in July and August and you will see what I mean.

Adeniums are beautiful plants, but growing them well outside of Saudi Arabia, Thailand, China or Arizona is exceedingly difficult...perhaps more challenging than almost any other succulent species. They simply need lots of heat.

X

• wase
    15 years ago

good point, Xero; a few weeks ago, when it got up to 75 in chicago for 2 days, I put mine outside, and 2 days later I had a flower!
    Of corse now, its back to winter here, so its back inside, and not happy again...