Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Green lady bug? & Sedum question

lesdvs9
17 years ago

Brenda, I saw you suggest Sedum to someone. Do you know which variety this is? This died all the way in the freeze and came back. I lost the tag, I don't know what it is, how big it'll get to move it or leave it be.

{{gwi:495287}}

Also, if this isn't a green ladybug, do you know what it is? It was sharing with the red ladybugs yesterday.

{{gwi:495288}}

Comments (5)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Leslie, that looks like either Sedum telephium or S. spectabile, or a combination of both ('Autumn Joy'). Those are the 2 Sedums which are fairly tall, compared to the other low-growing, trailing types. They get, on average, 1-2 ft. tall and wide. A few varieties of Sedum (those 2 included) disappear completely in winter, only to return with the warming soil.

That looks like a spotted cucumber beetle, which I squish on contact if the birds don't get them first. They like to chew on leaves and flowers, and that one in particular likes to feed on roses!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Uh oh, I let him go thinking it was a green ladybug, ok, I'm going looking for him today!!

This Sedum was planted so late last fall it never bloomed, I was amazed it was one of the first to emerge after the freeze:) I think the flowers are pink, I got it at Target.
    Thanks for the info:)

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After I asked about the cucumber beetle on the rose forum I found a excellent web site with every bug I ever wanted to know about, I think. I bookmarked it for future use. That was really stupid that I had my answer and asked again...I said I had headaches and used darvocet. I was asking about a spider on a rose first and then threw this out there....Some day if I'm lucky I'll find I have a brain again...

I have 4 cats, 2 are 20 pounders, I don't see many birds in my yard, though I planted 5 trees for them and for shade:) The birds, not the cats, though the cats might think I put the trees there for them to catch birds in...

Can't find the cucumber beetle but I believe he ate all holes in the blossoms on Angel Face, they have holes in them where they didn't yesterday. I wished I had killed him when I saw him.

• youreit
    17 years ago

It's ok about the beetle, Leslie. You didn't know. And trust me, if my experience with them last year is any indication, you'll find you have plenty more than just one out there. :(

Sorry about your rose! BTW, Angel Face is the favorite of mine that my mom owns! The scent is the most delicious ever! And the color...well, I'd say "to die for", but "to kill cucumber beetles for" is better. :D

That Sedum will bloom like crazy for you this year. We'll be able to I.D. it for sure after it blooms.

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Looks like Sedum telephium "Autumn Joy" to me too. Maybe the spider will get the beetle.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting