mssunflower
13 years ago

This is a first for me.

{{gwi:483712}}

Comments (5)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Hehehe!
    I've seen palamedes swallowtails nectaring at a hummingbird feeder, but never a tiger - looks like a quick and easy way to get lots of nectar!
    Sherry

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Now that's a great picture!

• terrene
    13 years ago

Yes terrific photo - what camera do you use? Were you close to the feeder?

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Faith, you may have seen some of my posts, but the butterflies have been particularly interested in hummingbird feeders this year. Never seen this before in such numbers.

Do you have Wild Cherry or Tulip Trees in your area? They use those for larval hosts. I raised one this year (out of 5 eggs, they have a high mortality rate), and are so amazing in that I never saw the caterpillar move. He fed mostly at night, because in the morning, he would be back in his nest, but nearby leaves were consumed. This particular cat was on Wild Cherry (Prunus serotina), which is a native in Oklahoma.

Beautiful photo, BTW!

Susan

• mssunflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. The picture was taken with a Kodak C813 which is a small point and shoot type camera. I had it set on close-up rather than the zoom because I was right next to him and he had no interest in me - all attention was on that nectar.

Susan, if I have any wild cherry or tulip trees nearby, I am not aware of it. I live on 350 acres and there are plenty of trees around, so there could be some cherry and tulip trees, but I have never identified any. I just planted two small bush cherries in big plastic tubs this spring, but they are only about a foot tall. I will check into the Wild Cherry and see if I already have some on the ranch or if I can get some to put in my yard. I would love to watch caterpillars grow up and become beautiful butterflies like this guy. Just before I posted, I had read one of your posts stating that you had butterflies on your hummingbird feeders.

Thanks for letting me share this with you.

Ms. Faith

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus