Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotdiggetydam

What a difference one small change can make

hotdiggetydam
17 years ago

I have friend and fellow collector/hybridizer that was giving me some tips on grow a couple years ago. One he said was sometimes even the smallest change in growing conditions can make a big difference in the final look of a bromeliad, right down to the pot size you choose for the plant. Well skeptical me I decide to test this advice. I used this Neo because I have a lot of them and they pup fast. I tried this with six sets of pups taken in March from mom everytime. Everything was identical soil, light, water and fertlizer. However I used 2 different pot sizes on the pups. And here is what happened everytime.

{{gwi:505391}}

He also told me that down sizing the pots over a few generations will produce miniature plants that will color up faster. The smaller plants are suitable for growing in terrariums. He was correct.

Comments (14)

• bob740
    17 years ago

Very interesting hdd. And it fits right in with a grower in Florida that sells on e-bay occasionally.He goes by'bromeliad bankhead'.
    And his write up will include what he did to cause the brom he's selling to be different than the usual color or size or shape,and its usually pot size that makes the big difference.But it can be stress,shade,or fertilizer as well. He enjoys experimenting with it,and obtains some nice results.I have quite a few of his Neos.Thanks for the info.and pics.
    Bob

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Im sure he learned that from the same person who told me. I know John and most of his collection started with Dave Johnston's (Bromeliad Society pres in fla)help. One thing I should mention about miniturizing it seems to promote black scale if no prevention program is in place

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Ha ha, hdd, we must have been sharing brainwaves! You were writing this while I was writing about the same thing on another thread. Maybe I can take a few pics that show this too.

It's not a permanent change, though. You can "bonsai" a plant down to a smaller size, but as soon as you pot up a pup in a lusher environment it'll get big again.

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Just read your last reply, hdd, and you're right about scale, in fact whatever problems your plant is prone to will be worse if you grow it hard and stressed, which is what putting them in smaller pots and starving them does.

You know that ugly black fungal spotting I was talking about earlier? Same thing. I tend to like smaller, more compact plants, but I find that if I grow them big and lush they don't give the diseases and pests as much of a chance to take hold. I may have to rethink my philosophy somewhat.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GMTA I agree but experiments are part of learning. I learned alot fron that one. I started my first seed plants. So maybe in the spring I will have tiny little plants.

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Just wanted to add a couple of pictures that illustrate what a difference in pot size can make.

Grace x Passion:

{{gwi:505392}}

and Tiger:

{{gwi:505393}}

The plants on the left are not immature. They're fully formed, just smaller in all of their dimensions. Whether this is good or bad depends on your point of view.

This becomes even more apparent when you're dealing with terrestrials like Dyckias or Cryptanthus, which have a more extensive root system than the epiphytes.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

Question Please, Is "TIGER" an Neo? TIA!

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It sure is try this link.. scroll down on the page

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Bambi, the full name is Neo. carcharodon 'Tiger'.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

Ok I'm hooked where can I find it. TIA again, I knew I shouldn't have come here.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michaels has it. There are several nice tiger plants Neo. carcharodon 'Tiger'. . Screaming tiger, Tiger cub, Wild Tiger, Blushing Tiger and Tiger cat to name a few

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Well, if you only buy one plant, Bambi, make it carcharodon 'Tiger'. This is my absolute favorite Neo. at the moment!

I first saw it at the 2000 convention when it was going for $100, and since I had only allotted myself a $300 budget I couldn't bring myself to blow a third of it on one plant. It haunted my dreams for about a year, though, and finally I decided I had to have it, whatever the price! I was ordering from Michael anyway, so I asked him to find me one. By that time I was able to get it for $40, and I see now he's selling them for $25. It is a very prolific pupper, unlike carcharodon 'Rubra', so it has become widespread and affordable now. It is a big, very hard-leafed, spiny monster that makes me happy every time I look at it! The one on the right in the pic is in an 8" pot, so that gives you some idea of its size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael's Bromeliads

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

I'll be ordering one of those, Michaels has a very impressive list! I've been keeping Broms for 30 years, but we only have about 10, my space is really limited here, so I'm getting really picky about what I keep. Sring, Summer, and Fall are not a problem, everything goes out doors. Winter is the problem. The tables on the enclosed porch are full right now, and we'll be moving every body back into the house this weekend, we'll check for pests, repot what needs it, and fertilize. I thinking Tillandsias in the 3 tropical hibiscus trees I have might add interest. Neo. carcharodon 'Tiger' is now a must have, and I thank you all for your input.

I know the exchanges are overlooked by some but I did post an ad over there offering up some Daylily seed for trade. Daylilys are my real passion.....oh if I only had 25 acres, and a greenhouse, somewhere warm.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

All the broms arent on the list either

Sponsored
More Discussions