Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Anyone living in Brooklyn NY area??

deefar
18 years ago

Looks like I will be making a trip to Brooklyn, NY. We will be staying at the Crowne Hotel in East Elmhurst on Ditmars Blvd. Dh will be leaving on Tues. but I will be going possibly on Friday or Saturday. Are there any good nurseries I can visit that aren't too far from our hotel?

Thanks for any info,

Dawn

Comments (9)

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

If no one writes in --- Check out the phone book, that is what we did as we drove through small towns in Florida. Norma

• cactus_cowboy
    18 years ago

The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has a cactus greenhouse that's worth visiting.

Dave in Wyoming

• User
    18 years ago

Hi Deefar,

I live in Brooklyn. (I believe Elmhurst is in Queens, not Booklyn.)

I don't use nurseries (no car, can't get to any), but instead am more inclined to use favorite plant shops. There's a place whose name I don't know, but it's sort of nursery/greenhouse shop at Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn, right near the Atlantic Ave train station, lots of landscaping plants, some C&S, also indoor plants & related supplies.

I have a favorite plant shop called Plant King on Lawrence Street, btwn Fulton & Bridge Streets (in Booklyn). Offers a diverse assortment of indoor plants, tropicals, AVs, some C&S, really all kinds of plants, related supplies, nice owners, etc.

Both the Brooklyn & NYC (in the Bronx) Botanic Gardens each have gift shops that sell plants, tho' they tend to be somewhat to quite pricey.

Both Botanic Gardens are well worth the visit, each having wonderful conservatory exhibits, each of which have Cactus & Succulent exhibits.

You may want to consult a map, as I DO think Elmhurst is Queens, not Brooklyn. Whether or not you'll have a car at your disposal may matter. I do most of my running around by subway, but that can be confusing to a newcomer. If you do have a car, Long Island has many more nurseries, but I'd doubt that have much by way of C&S out there. I'd check the phone book & call them 1st before driving out there. (From what I recall from living there 25+ yrs. ago, they were more dedicated to outdoor/landscaping type plants.)

If you'd care to EM me privately w/ any questions, pls. feel free.

PS: It suddenly got quite cold (30s from 50s we had 3 days ago), pls. remember to bring warm clothes!

Pirate Karen

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Norma, A phone book will be in the car..thanks.

Dave, the Botanical Gardens is a great suggestion, thanks.

Karen, Your right, the hotel that DH's work is putting us in is in Queens but he will be working in Brooklyn. I may drive there, its only a 6 1/2 hr. trip. If I wait it out for 2 weeks Jerry's work will fly me and our 2 kids in on there expense...the kids want an airplane ride. Either way we will have a car. I am going to print this post and take it with. I am no stanger to the cold...we always bundle up. Thank you for your help.

Dawn

• vvdo
    18 years ago

You should also check the Brooklyn Botanical Garden's website... they have days with free admission.

• User
    18 years ago

Good point, I believe the Brooklyn BG has free admission Sat. morning before noon. Also, I believe they are closed entirely on Mondays. The same may be true for the BG in the Bronx.

My pleasure Dawn, happy to help! If you'll LMK when you're coming I'll EM you my phone number in case I can answer any questions. Perhaps we can meet up somewhere one evening & have coffee/tea & actually meet, live in the flesh; might be nice.

• vvdo
    18 years ago

Dawn, you will be in queens, near Laguardia Airport, you will be in between nassau and brooklyn each being about 20-30 min away. There are no nurseries I know of near where you will be staying.

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

VvDO, The Crowne Hotel is only minutes from Laguardia Airport. The Queens Botanical Gardens is only 5 minutes from the hotel. The Brooklyn BG is about 20 minutes. I think the QBG is a must do.

Karen, that sounds like a good idea. I will send you an email.

Dawn

• karen715
    18 years ago

Dawn: As I recall, (it has been several years since I've been there) the Queens Botanical Garden is an outdoor garden. There is no public conservatory or greenhouse. It depends on what you want to see, of course, but it is probably not at its best this time of year.

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden on the other hand, has a very nice conservatory, as does the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx (The NYBG is my personal favorite. I was a member until I moved to Illinois.)

The other Karen (a homesick New Yorker in Chicagoland)

Here is a link that might be useful: Queens Botanical Garden website

Sponsored