Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowperian

I hate my irrigation system!

Lydia Lee
16 years ago

Ok, I definitely like it better than hand-watering everything...but my drip system is turning into quite the ordeal. I'm trying to get a jump on the problem before I actually need to turn the irrigation system back on.

Here's the thing: While the drip works great for shrubs, I'm struggling when it comes to the little guys. To get water to groundcovers and small plants (nasturtiums, coreopsis, lamium, heuchera, etc.), I've put in little sprinklers on risers as a way to avoid having to run drips to each individual plant. As a result, the beds are now filled with little black sprinklers that frequently get knocked over/need to be readjusted/etc. I put a bunch in last summer to get past the hot season and they've turned into an invasive species that is taking over. The front "yard," which is mostly yarrow and poppies, looks like a mess with all these little black antennae. (I picked low-water stuff on purpose, but they do need a little water in the hottest weather in order to avoid being crisped.)

Do I abandon my drip system and put in fixed pipe with pop-ups, or is there some other option? Spirals of 1/4" "ooze" tubing? I feel certain that someone out there must have found a good way to deal with this!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Comments (8)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

When we moved in 12 years ago I righteously replaced almost all the overheads and pop-ups to the more "correct" drips. Drips is right! I have now replaced 90% of those drips back to overheads and pop-ups.... which, in my yard, are more efficient at getting more ground watered instead of creating a little cone of moisture while the rest of the soil turns to adobe. (Thank goodness I kept most of the old irrigation stuff so i didn't have to go out and buy it all again!)

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

I just inserted the little sprinkler immiters into my 1/2" tubing. I try to keep the plants located in the area that is covered by the spray. In my situation, each immiter sprays a circle 2-3 feet in diamater. I have the 1/2' tubing laid out about 7-8 feet apart. I also have the 1/4' tubing leading to plants/shrubs that are out of the spray area or that need more water. I have a 1/4 acre cottage garden, so I am dependent on this system to keep my plants alive.
    Donna in Orland

• Mikey
    16 years ago

I use the DIG drip irrigation system that is sold at HD. It has a wide variety of emitters, micro-sprinklers etc. that cover all needs. I have a wide range of plants and I'm quite happy with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIG

• buddyben
    16 years ago

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/irrigate/ae1243w.htm
    It tells you about micro-emitters. I think you can use tubing and the micro emitters are not that obvious like sprinkers are.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Most drip emitters get plugged up with my hard water. I now use 1/2 inch tubing with emitters built in which plug up a lot less. I can add micro sprinklers any where I want by just tapping into the tubing. I have given up trying to find what I want from garden centers or home depot and buy from sprinkler supply companies. Al

• softmentor
    16 years ago

+1 for micro spray.
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/irrigate/ae1243w.htm
    http://www.atsirrigation.com/microspraypage.htm
    http://www.atsirrigation.com/fanJetsprinklers/fanjetsprinklers.htm

I use these from ATS with great success. I use them over mulched areas around my fruit trees where I need to get the mulch wet and have water run down through it so the mulch will decompose and the nutrients work their way into the soil.
    They work well for ground cover. You will need to put them on a short stake sort of device that they also sell that will keep the spray above the ground cover. then the spray head goes on the end of a pre-made spaghetti tubing.
    Start with 1/2 or 3/4 main feed tubing, to spaghetti with fitted end that snaps into the main tubing. These are sold in pre-made 18 inch lengths which work very well. Spaghetti then attaches to the stake and the fan micro fits on top the tubing, help up buy the stake.
    You can also fit these onto rigid risers, and use buried PVC.

• Lydia Lee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm....I think the little black sprinklers that are infesting my landscaping are the same thing as these 'micro-sprinklers.' Basically I've gotten these sprinkler heads (which come in quarter-circle, half-circle, and full circle versions), which connect to the 1/4 inch spaghetti tubing, then the whole thing is supported by a 1-foot black plastic spike, which you stick in the ground (see link below). Basically, in order to get full coverage, I've ended up putting these all over the place.

Well...I think my next step before resorting to what westell did is to run some 1/4 inch drip tubing in spirals and zig-zags to see if that will keep everyone happy in the summer....we'll see!

Here is a link that might be useful: Micro sprinklers

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

The minisprinklers I use are designed to work with water with a high mineral content and not plug up. I tried the ones in your reference but could not keep them open. What I use now are imported from Israel and have names such as Eindor or Eintal and I get them from www.harmonyfarm.com. Al

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor