Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emyemy_gw

The plants from Mars

emyemy
18 years ago

Hello all,

I used to know someone who called the plants we all love: The Plants from Mars. Here is an example of why she may have been right: Flowers of Monadenium invenustum v invenustum.

Emy

Image link:

Comments (8)

• rpw53
    18 years ago

I know what you mean - these plants have always fascinated me - amazing what grows right here on this planet...
    Peyton

Monadenium sp. aff. schubei (red Tanzanian form)
    {{gwi:493616}}

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Oh wow! Those ARE unusual! I love 'em!

~Rosemarie

• rpw53
    18 years ago

That was last years flowers...
    Same plant this year
    {{gwi:493617}} {{gwi:493618}}

And its newly acquired partner
    {{gwi:493619}} {{gwi:493620}}

Peyton

• emyemy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Peyton,

Being Mars The Red Planet, your plant certainly qualifies to be in the Plants from Mars group! Great color.

Emy

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

That's one striking plant, Peyton. I love the red markings and flowers. Beautiful!

Only recently I've got a cutting of this species. Full sun provided the markings already get obvious. But as the cutting is small yet it will take one or two years for it to flower. You now made me running out of patience.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• rpw53
    18 years ago

Frank,

Do monadeniums require cross-pollination to produce viable seeds? My older plant did produce a few capsules on its own for the first time last year, but the seeds were lost in the greenhouse when the capsules exploded sooner than I thought they would, and I have not found any volunteer seedlings.

I bought the tall skinny plant this fall (hoping it is not the same clone) to try and produce seeds. I have tried pollinating a few times with a small paint brush, but I am usually not home during the day. My new plant appears to be a cutting, but I think my old plant is a seedling as it has a small round caudex-like base.
    Any tips on seed production?
    Thanks.

Peyton

BTW the new growth in the spring is always spectacular:

{{gwi:493621}}

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Emy,

Not to steal your thunder, nor take anything away from the Euphorbia Family, but for many months, until I contacted the San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society (and the rest, dare I say, is history), that's exactly what I called this plant - The Martian Plant

{{gwi:486312}}

One of the shrubby Mesembs, Ruschia crassa

• emyemy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeffrey,

That particular plant grows only on the south side of Mars. Mine grows on the north side. LOL

Emy

Sponsored