Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malleeaustralia

Why do we love Bromeliads?

malleeaustralia
14 years ago

Is it just 'cause they're beautiful works of nature or 'cause they feed my addictive/obsessive nature?? Hmmm...

I don't have any great insights into growing broms or rare broms/my own hybrids to show (yet) so instead I thought I'd share why I fell in love with the bromeliad family about a year ago and perhaps hear how others fell into the addiction.

Firstly, pineapples - YUM!!

Secondly, I have always been interested in pottering in the garden - however I am very much a weeder/hope for the best type gardener rather than a systematic one.For me just spending time weeding is very meditative/theraputic and a great way to get up close to the plants and appreciate the changes in light etc. I can spend hours weeding and generally tinkering and have done so for years but don't ask me names of plants or how to grow then...If they look good I forget the name and if they survive - well that's how to grow them. I have always had a fondness for foliage plants, particularly variegated, random coloured etc. I have also had a bit of an interest in cacti/succulents as I like plants that I can cut a bit off and grow another - great way to enjoy gardening, expand the garden on a budget and share with friends. My experience with raising from seed has been largely limited to vegetables.

With those likes its no surprise I would eventually find bromeliads. There has been a couple of untagged (fairly average) broms in the garden that have been left largely to look after themselves. During a weeding mission last summer I rediscovered some of them and thought there must be something to them since they'd survived. One which was tagged (Bilb Tigrina X Horrinda) got divided and so being hardy, self propagatable (?) and foliage plants I decided to explore more - hello internet!

Wow - yep, there are a lot of broms out there and on the internet and so many colours/patterns - intriguing. I should mention here why the coloured/patterned Neos caught my eye immediately. I have a number of eye problems (can't see out of one eye and blind in the other) one of which is a haemoraging retina. This is very hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. Not only does it bring a general loss of vision (added to the existing probs with cataracts and glaucoma etc) but it creates, well a hallucinatory effect. It's a bit like just having a camera flash go off in yr eyes (but constantly) or looking in one of the distorted parking mirrors or keyholes after staring at the sun for a while... Um, basically constantly evolving flashing colours/patterns/dots/lines etc in front of me (like a camera sun flare) plus everything in central vision is warped or wavy - straight lines appear bowed and dijointed (not unlike some patterning on foliage Vr.). I don't say this to whinge but because the effects are not dissimilar to those colours/patterns displayed on Neos. Also, the acuteness of my eye conditions can be dependant on refraction so the beauty and variety of the refraction of light through brom leaves is something that appeals and I can relate too. For these reasons, spending time with my broms is comforting as they allow my retinal hallucinations to melt into the leaves somewhat...

Of course, you don't need to be 3/4s blind to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of bromeliads - could probably appreciate more with 20/20 vision but that's why to me they are a bit of an "in-joke".

The vast amount of broms to accumulate also appeals to someone like myself with an addictive personality - the good thing is with all you hybridists doing fantastic work my addiction should be feed for years to come and won't be ever completed so will always give me something to chase. Also there is so much to learn about bromeliads in general from they're habitat and consequent care in the garden through to the genetics involved in hybridisation. Another aspect of my dodgy eyes is I can no longer read books but with a bigish screen I can read the computer for shortish bursts so finding this forum has been a major boost for my bromeliad education so a big thanks to all those who contribute.

Currently I am at the care stage but hope to embark on hybridisation in the future if the eyes allow it - if I don't I'll be happy enough to grow out the seeds the ants etc pollinate for me and share the glory with them!

I have started my first trials at seed raising and thanks to the generosity of members here (in providing seed and info) I hope to start some more this week - now armed with more knowledge. Will be exciting watching and nurturing them along the way and if the results are equal to the learning I'll be happy. Raising bromeliads from seed should also be a good lesson in patience too...

So yeah, I guess it is 'cause of their nature as much as mine...

Well, thats my ramble - would love to hear why/how others fell in love with bromeliads and perhaps what joys/experiences they have got out of it...

(and now a few random pics from the garden - still very much working out which area suits which brom best while we change seasons)

have a good one folks

Kristan

{{gwi:523997}}

{{gwi:524000}}

{{gwi:524002}}

{{gwi:524005}}

{{gwi:524007}}

{{gwi:524010}}

{{gwi:524013}}

{{gwi:524016}}

{{gwi:524018}}

{{gwi:524020}}

Comments (16)

• sdandy
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well that's quite a story Kristan. Glad you are able to enjoy the plants still. Seems like everyone is drawn to different plants with different colors and patterns. And it sounds like yours is probably a unique one. I definitely first felt the tug with the propagation aspect. I had seen them in botanic gardens and the ones at the stores, but I figured they would be somewhat short-lived like a lot of tropical looking plants. When someone gave me one and I saw how easy they were to propagate I started to want to learn more. And as a geek, the more info I found and learned, the more I saw there was and the more I wanted to know...and yup, there was the internet and a local club...
    -andy

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

That was supposed to say "passed", and not some other word. ;-)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

My introduction to Broms was via Bill Morris ,we both grew orchids as well but for me ,if it was'nt a orchid ? well you did'nt grow it , but Bill asked me to built him a shade house for these weird plants ,and as i am good with my hands and tools ? i did . but as i worked around these ' Things' they did start to grow on me ,and Bill gave me a plant of Vriesea fosteriana ,a nice red coloured clone (still have it ) and that's how i was corrupted ,mind i am easely corrupted by plants ,you name it and i have had a go at growing and hybridizing it ,Zygocactus, Hippeastrums , Gloxinias , Caladiums, Anthuriums ,Orchids ,Alocasias ,am just compulsive ,therapy has'nt helped ,but years ago i settled on the royalty of all plants ,Bromeliads rule ,no doubt!
    Jack

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Im glad you get so much pleasure from broms Kristan, and that you have found this forum to help cultivate your addiction ;-) Once I had been bitten by the brom bug, it was these two photos that inspired me to start building a collection of plants, & to also grow many from seed.

The first is a photo of Leland MiyanoÂs garden in Hawaii. This photo was sourced from a local garden magazine article on Leland & his garden. The article is probably about 10 years old now, but when I first came across it the photos of this amazing tropical garden just blew me away, I had never seen bromeliads grown in such numbers before. The article commented on his collecting trips with Roberto Marx, how he used them as ground cover plants in his landscape design, & how he grew many broms from seed.

{{gwi:524022}}

The second photo is from the garden of Grace Goode. We were over in Australia for a family wedding, & managed to have a few days up in Maroochydore before the family gathering down in Brisbane. While in Maroochydore, I took the opportunity to visit Grace, and it was one of those unforgettable experiences. Grace gave me the full tour of her garden, & with a twinkle in her eye she explained her love of Bromeliads and of hybridisingÂI was hookedÂ

{{gwi:524024}}

Cheers, Andrew.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone.

Hi Tristan, that's a nice collection you have there and thanks for showing us around your garden.

My first contact with bromeliads or "bromel-aids" as they were referred to by the locals in those days, was about 1969. When we first moved to our present address I continued to grow orchids as I had for some years previously, and after a short time I was invited by one of the local chaps to visit and view his orchid collection. In his shade house as well as his orchids, he also had a few bromeliads and as I recall they were mostly aechema fasciata and aechmea Foster's Favcourite.

I was very impressed by how natural and attractive they looked, mounted on pieces of driftwood draped with "old man's whiskers" and hanging randomly throughout his collection. When he saw I was interested, he gave me a fasciata and a Foster's Favourite pup, and that was the start. As these grew and multiplied over the years, they were used together with ferns to compliment orchid displays at our annual orchid shows until some years later I gave up orchid growing for breeding birds.

Fast forward to 1998 when I gave up bird breeding due to shift work commitments, and decided to try my hand at growing ferns. I began to renovate the old shade house to make it look a bit more respectable and as I pulled down old benches and shade cloth, I spied some fasciata plants in full flower. These were from the original plants my friend (who has since died of cancer) had given me years before and they were growing in the corner having been neglected and forgotten for many years. It was at this point that I decided that if these plants could survive all this time without any attention, the direction my new hobby would take wasn't to be ferns, but bromeliads instead, and this has been my hobby ever since.

All the best, Nev.

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hi All and Kristen,

An interesting question; Why do we love Bromeliads?

I'm an avid plants collector since i was very young. I first collected plants when i was in high school. The first one who introduced me into world of plants is my father. He loved and grew a lot of orchids before I was born. I grew together with orchids. My father brought me to everywhere he enjoyed with orchids. I've absorbed his inspiration. Begined with caladium, a beautiful colourful aroid still popular in Thailand but difficult to keep. Then orchids, cacti&succulents , palms&cycads , anthuriums , others and the last bromeliads.

About bromeliads, I went to plant market many years ago and found a small red plant hanging from a basket. It was very nice. I asked the seller what it was. He said it was a bromeliad. I bought it and took it back. I didnt know much about this plant. I searched for the information and found and interesting source of these plants. After I joined BSI, my world of bromeliads is opened. There are a lot to learn. I found that bromeliads are plants that easy to care, less pests, less disease, need less attention and less fertilizer. In particular they are beautiful year round, has so many colors and forms. And also after joining this forum I found that there are so many lovely people around the world has the same thing and willing to share their knowledge. ;-)
    {{gwi:524026}}

Thats why I love bromeliads

Cheers
    Yong

• malleeaustralia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cheers folks

Interesting that we can all come from different angles but bang - that bromeliad bug bites!!

I am drooling at some of the gardens you folks have visited - they would have been very inspiring I'm sure as would their owners/carers. Similarly "visiting" you're gardens via pics on here is equally inspiring and informative.

Yong - looks like you could get lost in that sea of bromeliads!

Lisa as for the cause - I'm not real good on all the technicalities - just the effects! Similar, I think, to MD in that the cells in middle of retina tear and heamorage (rather than a detached retina) but when mine goes its with a bang rather than slowly. Was born with cataracts, astigmatism etc and throw in some later glaucoma so generally weak eyes - plus the cataract operations and removal of lenses at a young age makes the super thin retinas a bit more succeptible than average - apparently heam retina's are common amongst weight lifters (build up of pressure) but if you saw me you'd know I was no weight lifter lol.

On the upside I now have a truckload of brom seeds planted and looking forward to watching them develop and take on their waiting forms (hopefully!)and some plants on the way so my addiction will be feed for a while!

all the best
    Kristan

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Kristan,

If you told me five years ago that I would enjoy growing broms from seeds, I would have said that you were nuts.

I've pondered why I like them so much, like Jack I also like Alocasias and Caladiums but I am not nearly as fanactical/obsessed about any of my other plants.

I like that you can talk about broms with a wide audience from mid twenties through to people in their eighties, apologies if I have left anyone out.

I like that they are fairly forgiving plants and will tolerate a bit of neglect and sometimes even reward you with a pup or two because you may have neglected them a little too much.

I don't like the fact that a few Tills have slipped into my possesion, I swore that wouldn't happen.

Rick
    P.S, Andrew - the top photo that you posted looked to me like some of your garden photos, you must have studied that picture a few times.

• plantaholic
    14 years ago

when i was in hawaii i visited lisa's nursery looking for gingers. (i collect gingers too). i was looking around and was in awe at the variety of bromeliads lisa was growing. i remember thinking that i could do these. LOL well, 600 varieties later.....LOL

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Heehee....... well, I guess my work here is done. How are your Hedychiums doing, Hayes?

Andrew, you probably know that Leland's garden doesn't look like that anymore. He's apparently gotten rid of some of the broms now and gone over to a more naturalistic style (see link). I haven't seen it recently (he rarely allows visitors), but I was fortunate to have been able to visit around the time that picture was taken, and it made quite an impression on me too. It's only an acre, but feels like at least five!

• plantaholic
    14 years ago

lisa

the hedychiums are doing great! lovem!

i have since enclosed my patio to house my bromeliad collection during the colder winter months. i just moved in the last few the past weekend due to the cold weather moving in. i cant wait til spring to spread them back out into the garden.

i have spread my bromeliad enthusiasm to some other local plant people. the circle continues. LOL

• blutarski
    14 years ago

I really like tillandsia, I don't have any of the other broms, mostly due to not having the right conditions available to me, and being a bit intimidated, quite frankly.

I like tillies because of their uniqueness, their silvery sheen, and ease of care.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

As a newbie, I love the fact you only have to buy the brom once and after it pups, you have another one. Tada!
    Also, no matter where I am, box store, plant show, nursery, etc. I can always find something in my price range. Of course this is where the addiction kicks in.

• Lynnesilverthorne_Ymail_com
    13 years ago

I just got my first orchid for Christmas. I was out at a local produce shop today and saw a beautiful Bromeliad. I had to buy it. I remember one of my friends, who was very into orchids also really loved Bromeliads.
    I just came across this site. I'm trying to find out how to care for them. Mine is a gorgeous deep red. I don't know the name of it.
    I saw all of the pictures posted on here and can't believe how many different colors there are!!

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Posting a photo of your plant will help when trying to get information on care or an ID of the plant. The FCBS site has many photo's that are very helpful also.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions