Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subnormal_gw

Strange Succulent

subnormal
17 years ago

Please help me Identify this strange succluent. I found it in Homebase, it was without a name and nobody could name it. There is a picture on my myspace profile. the link is below. I also took a cutting of a new shoot... (Little bit naughty) i've currently got it in a glass of water but i don't know if it will grow... Advice?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=53968373&albumID=0amp;imageID=6707575

Thank you for helping me.

Comments (23)

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

http://www.myspace.com/_tit_

If you go to pics its on there called 'Strange Succulent'

I posted the link wrong before! OOOPS!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Profile (Please click pics)

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok! so now i've finally got it right. You don't have to go anywhere its the main desplay picture on the above link! GET IT RIGHT!

• gabro14
    17 years ago

I think that's a sansevieria...not sure what type though. Nice Myspace profile...I sent you a friend request (my name is Gabi on Myspace (and real life :))

Gabi

• mfyss
    17 years ago

It may be Sansevieria cylindrica. Cut leaves will send up new shoots when stuck in potting soil. They will be slow, but pretty dependable. Yale

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

EXCELLENT! It is indeed Sansevieria cylindrica!! and a beautiful one at that! *Thanks for the add Gabi* Thing is, I took a cutting from a new shoot not a mature one. its not very big only about he size of my thumb. it's white at one end (root) and green at the other and you can see the prongs begining to separate do you think i ought to just pot it? If so what sort of soil would you recommend??

• tanyag
    17 years ago

Free draining as you would use for other succulents - as little peat as possible (coir, if you can get it), grit, gravel, turface, pine bark fines. It can withstand a lot of neglect as most succulents can. Water pretty regularly during warm growing season and cut way back in cold. Though it is a tropical, it doesn't like wet feet and cold - nothing below 40 for any extended period of time. It prefers to be around 60-75 year round, so in the house is great. It must have some natural light though. I grow all of my sansaverias outdoors but have to bring them in or protect them in winter. I had some get damaged this past winter with temps in the 20's. I cut the mushy part off and the thing just put out new shoots - very forgiving. If you want it to flower, it must be in unairconditioned room or outside and deprived of water a bit. It is much like jade that way. I think, though, that you would have difficulty leaving it outside in England. Post pics when you can. I've never seen a tiny one.

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will try! Need to get the digital cam back! It may be too late though it seems that i've left it in water for too long! I repotted it as soon as i knew i needed to, but the three tiny shoots (especially the middle one) are begining to turn a little brown. I do hope it survives.

• User
    17 years ago

Well I've tried to look at the pic 3 times now, I see NO place to click on for pictures. (I also don't especially appreciate being linked to an area (even if a personal one), that has that much cursing).

Perhaps in future you could simply provide an actual pic w/ a separate link.

FWIW: Sans plants ought never go into or be left in water, it's the quickest way to kill them!

• gabro14
    17 years ago

The pic was there before as his main picture, but I guess he took it down since he already got the ID.

• darconnis
    17 years ago

Love the extended keyboard you used in your youtube recording.. my skills on piano are lacking being that I only took a 3 month class to learn how to read, play both hands, and keep a standard beat.(many years ago..) Now days, I lack a nice keyboard/piano like yours =)
    I like your succulent picture and hope it makes it. (As for the comment above, what cursing?) Next time right click on your picture in the profile to get a link to use here anyone can view it even if they don't use myspace.
    Brian
    PS - myspace - my profile

• tanyag
    17 years ago

I am trying to put your link in for you. Don't know if it will work. I'm with darconnis. I saw one curse word. Don't go to my page. Other cute pictures, though/;0)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pic

• tanyag
    17 years ago

It worked. Should have labeled Subnormal's Pic.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Hey Tanya,

Didn't work when I clicked on it for some reason. I didn't see curse words either, unless you REALLY go through his whole page...then there is only one, and it's the word for "female dog" (harmless). Don't go to my page either guys...it's WAY worse :-)

Gabi

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh god! I've created a bit of an uproar!!To be quite honest I see curse words as an extention of my vocab, clearly others think differently! :S - Yeah took the pic down becuase i have ID'd the plant! BAD NEWS! - My sans is dead! It went all mushy and brown! I think i'll just go back and buy the original i feel its only right as i killed it's baby!

Pirate_girl... Nobody likes a moaner!

• User
    17 years ago

What's a moaner?

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Moaner. Adj - Person who moans.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Subnormal,

So sorry to hear about your plant :(
    As for causing an uproar, you didn't.
    Nobody was forced to read your whole profile...you just asked us to look at the pic. No worries ;)
    So, you're planning on getting the mom plant? See, Karma has caught up with you for taking the cutting :P
    I've been known to do that on occasion, and sometimes it pays off but sometimes I get punished with a dead plant!
    So was that picture the mother plant? I hope it's still at the store....beautiful plant.

Gabi

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah i was pretty peaved to say the least! The pic was indeed of the mother plant. I don't think it will be gone after all it had no price, name type, or anything. But now i've got a pot with nothing to go in it... I've got a few christmas cacti cuttings that are good to pot, but i'm not really fond of them! and i really want a new plant! Any idea's?

• gabro14
    17 years ago

I'm not a big fan of christmas cacti either. My good friend and neighbor has tons of them and I never take cuttings when she offers them to me.

What type of look are you going for? Do you want that "strange succulent" type look? If you want another Sansevieria, I absolutely love my Sans Moonshine. I'll put a link to a post with a picture of mine when I first got it (it's bigger now). What size pot do you have? Sansevierias are known to bust pots open, but they are slow growers. Most Sans. don't have those full succulent looking leaves that your other one had though. They are thinner but very hard.

How bout a jade? You can never go wrong with a nice jade (Crassula Ovata).

So tell us what type you want and what size the pot is...I'm sure we can come up with something.

Gabi

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria Moonshine

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

love the sans moonshine, never had a Jade plant before but aren't they only good as presents! Money trees make you loose money if you buy them yourself... I'm not a superstitious person really but that one gets me! I'd like to make a bog garden with some carnivorous plants in! But i doubt that will happen! maybe a slipper orchid??? I dunno i want something really pretty! pot's about 8 inches in diameter and 7 inches deep!

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Yeah, don't get the money tree! I'm superstitious too!
    No, jades aren't only given as presents (although I do admit I make plants out of my rooted cuttings and give them away!). I have a huge (almost 3 feet tall) jade. They are gorgeous. If you buy a big enough jade (I've seen ones in stores with many many woody branches, and it looks like some were in 8" pots), you should be fine with the size pot you have for a while. They like snug roots, so you'll have some time before you'll have to go up in pot size.

As for the Moonshine, an 8" pot is perfect. Mine is in a 6" pot, but I'm sure I'll have to go up in size soon. You can always buy a moonshine in a smaller pot (whatever size it comes in) and use your pot as a cache pot (decorative pot to place the ugly plastic one in). If you never had a jade, you MUST get one! Even if you use another pot...it's just such a great plant. Enjoy plant shopping...wish I could tag along, but I think going to a nursery in England would put me over the edge of sanity.

• tanyag
    17 years ago

I say go with Jade. Of course, I am bias because it is my most loved succulent, which I suppose is rather boring. Crosby's Compact is a good one. The leaves stay smaller and internodal distance stays tight if it gets good light. It can branch out really nicely. There are a lot of different types. In full sun, their edges get a red-purplish tint. It really is nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:526922}}

• subnormal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i may go jade then... will keep you updated.