Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vozz_gw

How long before I get blooms on Butterfly Bush

vozz
12 years ago

Three years ago I bought ten "sticks" that were taken from butterfly bushes. They were dormant and bare root plants. They have leafed out and are about 3 foot high now with just a few branches on each of the sticks. How long does it usually take for it to grow into a true Butterfly Bush like the others I have in my yard - full of blooms and bushy? I have not had a bloom on any of them yet.

Comments (6)

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

I'm sorry I probably won't be of much help, all I can tell you is that mine bloomed the first year I planted them (last year) and that this year they are about three times the size as last year and covered with blooms. Even in this extreme heat (days and days of 100+ temps w/o rain.)

I just planted with some Osmocote and then water regularly - but no other special treatment. Have you been fertilizing? Watering?

~Laura

• Tony G
    12 years ago

vozz, what kind are they? not all species blossom at the same time.

I have 5 types. I blossomed early(buzz), two are just blossoming now(ellen's blue, miss ruby) and two will come later. (white profusion, unknown)

of course, it also depends on your zone and weather.

Tony

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Hmmm....seems like you should be getting a few blooms by now. Do you think they need a little fertilizer?

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

If you have mature butterfly bushes already blooming in your gardens, then I'd expect your three year old cuttings to be blooming too. All of my experience with these plants suggests they will bloom the first year from fresh cuttings. I've taken tip cuttings in spring/early summer and they bloom before the season is through. If you've been pinching the growing tips, that will slow down the blooming process but the plant should still bloom during the growing season, once you stop pinching the branch tips.

If it were me, I'd try a bit of weak fertilizer feed to start with and see how things go. Are you absolutely certain they are butterfly bush plants?

Mary

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Are you able to share some pics? I also wonder if they are Buddleia.

• vozz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I had posted something yesterday, but don't see it in this thread so I'm trying again. I do not pinch it back at all. I water it 3 to 4 times a week because it is in a very dry spot around large trees, but it gets enough sun throughout the day. I put a Miracle-Gro fertilizer stick in the ground during the spring. I have a picture, and will add it as soon as I can figure out how to upload it!

Sponsored