Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ont

Video of palm trees in Vancouver area.

Paul_Ont
11 years ago

Southern Ontario is considered one of the prime gardening areas in Canada. Some try to wrap palm trees or at least leave them potted for spring and summer. I know that some people outside BC don't like the idea of palm trees in Vancouver or Victoria. But it is interesting that such exotic trees can exist somewhere in Canada like they exist is the Sochi area of the former Soviet Union.

The new question is this... Could palm trees have grown in Vancouver before the 1950's when none were introduced or did the climate get milder? Also is it ok for all of the California coast and the city of Las Vegas to have many palm trees where they were never, ever native. Why the resistance against Vancouver for growing palm trees? How is that different from Los Angeles or Las Vegas? I'm reading about climate online and the issues of exotic plants in Ontario vs BC as I plan to retire. Is there a law against Canada to have palm trees while people in Ontario grow millions of non-native plants? Should Vancouver be proud of its palm trees like Los Angeles? If a Colorado Blue Spruce is planted in Ontario, is it a double standard to say any non-native tree not be planted in a place like Victoria, BC?

Anyways here's a reverse take on the Hollywood image of Canada. Palm trees growing in BC. It's a really interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZQ0blSNz4Y

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm trees on video near Vancouver

Comments (4)

• ianna
    11 years ago

How very odd. This would be the first I've heard of anyone complaining about palm trees in Vancouver. Vancouver does look lovely with those trees.

Where did you hear about this opposition? The only reason we cannot grow palm trees or many of the tropicals outdoors in Ontario is due to the climate. Find us a palm tree that can grow locally and I guarantee you palm trees will start cropping up on front yards here in Toronto. The only reason Vancouver can grow palm trees is because the mountain range behind it traps warm air. Without those mountain ranges, Vancouver would be like Calgary or Edmonton in terms of weather.

• donaldvancouver
    11 years ago

I think you might be confusing a couple of different issues here. Some people may not like the look of palm trees in Vancouver; that is of course their right.
    But the issue of them being exotic is different. It's true that our palms are non-native. There are actually only one or two varieties that grow here: the Chinese windmill palm and maybe the odd Mediterranean fan palm. It's just too cold for anything else. But neither of these is invasive in the least. When people object to exotics, it's generally because they become invasive, like Scotch broom or English ivy or Himalayan blackberry or carpet burweed or what have you. These invasive plants start to overrun their environment and cause real ecological problems.
    As for the pre-1950's, I'm sure these palms could have grown here, if anyone had introduced them. Climate maps are actually showing us getting colder here rather than warmer.
    Maybe the real problem here is a different kind of plant: sour grapes :)

• Paul_Ont
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No confusion here. I know that there are plant purists in BC who want every plant o be native. In Victoria that may mean that British plants are ok but not Asian plants because many can only accept things they believe to be part of their culture. The people who don't like palm trees per say are people who do not like to be reminded of the southern US. I've been reading into exotic plant forums.

Every area has its problems with invasive plants. It must be more serious for you in Vancouver because you have a longer growing season. I had an ice storm while Vancouver has seen millions of flowers since March. It's mid-April. No sour grapes but ice wine out here in much colder southern Ontario.

• Paul_Ont
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No confusion here. I know that there are plant purists in BC who want every plant o be native. In Victoria that may mean that British plants are ok but not Asian plants because many can only accept things they believe to be part of their culture. The people who don't like palm trees per say are people who do not like to be reminded of the southern US. I've been reading into exotic plant forums.

Every area has its problems with invasive plants. It must be more serious for you in Vancouver because you have a longer growing season. I had an ice storm while Vancouver has seen millions of flowers since March. It's mid-April. No sour grapes but ice wine out here in much colder southern Ontario.