Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Picking out two Camellias for front bed - Grace Albritton?

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I was at the local nursery, looking at Camellias. I decided to plant one on each end of my front flower bed (below my porch). I LOVE them, but am having a time of it deciding what to get. I fell in love with the bloom of the Grace Albritton, but they only had one of them. I think the size is good (would eventually require pruning) but the flower is gorgeous. It is a 3 inch pink single bloom. I am in zone 7B and that flower bed is north facing, so I should be okay with light and soil (previously had rhododendrons there).

Would anyone like to share their favorites that are hardy in 7b or cooler? I wrote up an order form for two Grace Albrittons, but that wont be submitted until the week, if he can order before Spring.

Comments (2)

• jeff_al
    9 years ago

{{gwi:507633}}
    she gets pretty big, almost as wide as tall. mine is about 7' tall and 6' wide, open branching and not as dense as some.
    i would say the flowers are closer to 2" wide with a form that develops into something like a pink pine cone with the center extending outward in stacked layers. they can be almost white with some reddish specks or that similar pattern on a pink color. surely you did not see one in flower at this time of year. mine blooms in late winter here in auburn, al.
    if you like pink, here are some others for your considersation. these have not grown over 6' tall in my garden.
    'c.m. wilson', to almost 6' tall, very dark green foliage and 4"+ flowers.

'moonlight bay', newest purchase. the flowers are a good 6" wide. plant looks like it will be more verticall.
    {{gwi:506608}}
    'nuccio's pearl' and 'nuccio's jewel', respectively. flowers are about 3" wide.
    {{gwi:502013}}{{gwi:513436}}
    one that grows low and spreading in shape is a fall bloomer called 'chansonette'. still not over 4' tall and wider than that with small 2.5" flowers. cascading habit.
    {{gwi:368430}}

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Grace Albritton is a very nice flower.

Since you are somewhat new to the camellias and apparently have been "bitten " by the camellia bug- I have a few suggestions-- all from past experience- to help you avoid some common mistakes.

1) Be patient-- very easy to say but hard to do , don't get in a rush to buy, cause after you bought all them that you like , when you see others that you like better and gotta have them- and have no space left-- then you gotta whack them and graft them.

2) Be VERY SELECTIVE where you buy them @.
    Camellias are supsecptable to disease and pests. You don't want to bring any of that to your property , I and lots of others bare root EVERYTHING that comes onto my property , the soil from those plants goes into a plastic trash bag and sent off to the dump.

3) Go to a show and see what else you are missing

Have fun!!!!!!!!

Sponsored
More Discussions