Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spartacuslives_gw

Yellow Flowering Fall Camellia

spartacuslives
14 years ago

I have an interesting camellia blooming now in Southeastern Georgia. It is a new camellia species called Camellia microcarpa. It is a fall blooming yellow species. Each flower is very small with a diameter of 1/2inch to 3/4 inch. Like most yellow flowering camellia species, it has to be grown in milder climates or be used in containers and protected. I have an image of Camellia microcarpa below.

{{gwi:515202}}

Comments (8)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Very nice, spartacuslives. It reminds me of Camellia chrysanthides. I too like some of the yellow flowering camellias but have a rather "unique problem".... hee hee hee..... I should call it a case of the "wrong" taste". Somehow, I tend to migrate towards the yellows that are tender and that must be grown in Z9 climates. I do not know how I do it but jeeez! The majority of yellows grow in warmer climates so it makes sense that most will not grow in my zone but list a few Z8-ers on the catalogs/websites and I just gravitate to the Z9-only bloomers. Man! Frustrating. As more and more people hybridize yellows camellias looking for hardiness, I hope to get lucky one of these days.

When I bought the house that I live in, it had a green house, which would have been great for growing some of these plants but, oh man, it was in bad shape and had to be torn down. Never tried to get a replacement. There was always something else that had higher priority in the budget. Ooooooh weeeeelllllll......

Can you post more pictures for yellow-addicted people like me? A shot of the bush perhaps?

Enjoy your plant and thanks for posting,
    Luis

• spartacuslives
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luis, Glad you like the yellows too. They have been very difficult to hybridize and transfer the intense color to their offspring. Seems that yellow color is recessive in the camellia gene pool. Several Yellow hybrids might work for you. Keep some quilts handy to cover on extremely cold nights.

I will try to post some other yellow species pictures, but here are 2 hybrids that might grow for you.

{{gwi:515203}}
    Ki-No-Gozan

{{gwi:515204}}
    Kicho

• Donna
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I have never seen a yellow camellia before. Maybe it's just as well they aren't cold hardy for me...:)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Most wild camellia species are tender, it's not a peculiarity of the yellow ones. The many hardier garden forms we grow are due to there being a handful of exceptional, more frost tolerant wild species to provide a basis for this. If these had not been available, nobody would grow camellias outside of frost-free or nearly frost-free climates.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I can see why its 'micro'carpa with those microfloras! I'd like to see a shot of the plant too. My only dabble with yellow was 7 years ago with Dahlonega. I think I have had two flowers in all that time, the second was this January. You really have to use your imagination to see the yellow! The plant is exceedingly dense and handsome and dark green, so it provides a great backdrop for light yellow.

• spartacuslives
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gaalan, Dahlohnega is a beautiful creamy white formal double flower on a dense dark green plant most of the blooming season, but during the later part of the blooming season something magical takes place. The flower color does indeed become a light canary yellow. This usually happens in south Georgia during late March to early April. Don't give up yet. The flower below shows what Dahlohnega should look like late in the season. Still not very yellow, but interesting.

{{gwi:515205}}

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Dahlonega, Spartacus! I have not experienced enough flowers to know the color is different depending on the time of year. How old is the plant that produced that lovely flower?

• spartacuslives
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This particular flower came from a plant 2-3 years old, but I have had many similar flowers on 1 year old plants blooming late in the season.

Sponsored
More Discussions