Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimistl6

Anyone plant cannas in pots?

mimistl6
19 years ago

I'm thinking of planting the shorter cannas in pots for my front porch. Is this a good idea or a bad one? What do I need to know? How many tubers to a 18- or 20-inch pot? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

Hi Mimi,

I have grown cannas in pots for years now. I would recommend one type per pot and at most 2 rhizomes per pot depending on size. I would not overcrowd them. I have seen the rhizomes grow and break ceramic and clay pots if too many are packed in.

I would also recommend watering 3-5 times per week at the height of summer growing as well as fert at least once weekly in June, July and August.

all of the cannas in my photos are in pots.

best of luck to you!

Boca Joe

Use a soiless potting mix (like PROMIX or MIRACLE-GRO mix.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's Cannas in Pots

• andy_mayfield
    19 years ago

how big are the pots?

• peatpod
    19 years ago

Hi Mimi
    I potted cannas last year and didnt even think about how much the rhizomes would grow :o) I put 4 rhizomes in a huge 24 inch terra cotta pot and they destroyed the pot!! Take a look at my clump o'canna post. Take Boca's advice and put only one kind in a pot :o)

Laura

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    19 years ago

Andy,

The pots I use are mostly plastic nurdery pots from 5 gal to 20 gal (about 12" - 32" diameter).

I get the pots for free and actually had to CUT OFF 2 of them last fall because the rhizomes had bulged out the side and they wouldn't come out !

PUtting one kind in a pot also makes it easier in fall to dig and store without having to try to separate the monster rhizomes from hell- LOL

Boca Joe

• mimistl6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks guys for all your help. Gosh, I love this forum.

• kathicville
    19 years ago

Do the planting rules outlined above hold true even for the dwarf varieties?? I have six of a yellow dwarf (unnamed; seed from Park Seed) that I thought could live in harmony in a 24" pot for the summer. Not so?? Would they really be duking it out with one another for root space? I've never grown cannas before---can you tell, LOL?!

• wyndyacre
    19 years ago

I grew cannas in a half barrel last summer with complimentary plants and it turned out so well, I'll do it again this year. I grew two Pretoria with a medium size bronze phormium, Blackie sweet potato, a big clump of margarite daisy and a couple of the gold coloured licorice plants. The barrel is deep enough that the soil doesn't dry out too quickly and there was enough room for everything to prosper and still be able to dig it out in the fall.

• minibite
    19 years ago

I would definitely recommend a very large plastic or one of those decorative styrofoam type pots(even for smaller varieties, but you can plant a couple more rhizomes with those), because at the end of the growing season, and you want to get those babies out, you'll have to wrestle with 'em. When you consider the weight of the soil, and the plant itself, it can be a challenge.

I did an experiment and planted a couple in a soiless mixture, i.e. Miracle Grow potting soil, and another in mostly compost because I'd read somewhere that they are quite greedy, and all did well. Also, once they were established, I tended NOT to water them all that much, just because was getting tired of dealing with gardening stuff by late summer, and they were still gorgeous. Also, they made a wonderful privacy screen for me on my deck.

Janine

• glen3a
    19 years ago

I grew my canna in a large bell-shaped clay pot last summer, though I did line the inside of the pot with plastic before putting in the soil in order to try and limit water evaporation through the sides of the clay pot.

Anyways, I used generic brand potting soil, mixed with composted manure. A Placed a single phaison canna and then planted a royal blue wave petunia and some marigolds for contrast.

If I recalled, I fertilized and watered quite a lot. Is it just me or does anyone find that sometimes canna in pots remain a slightly smaller size than they might if planted in the ground? I mean, they still look great and bloom, just that they remain smaller in stature.

Glen

• watergal
    19 years ago

Glen, I have dwarf orange cannas that I have planted in the ground and in pots in similar sun exposure. The ones in-ground definitely grew larger.

I understand that most plants, not just cannas, grow larger, all other things being equal, when they have room for their roots to spread out. Think about bonsai trees - one uses a tiny pot to help keep the plant small.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

I am a FIRST-time canna grower, even though I have experience with lots of other plants. I got one bag of six dwarf "Pink Futurity" for half-price tonight. I almost bought a second bag - thinking six might not be enough. After reading all these posts, I'm sure glad I didn't. So, since these are dwarf, do you think I can/should put them all one pot? Or should I split them 3 and 3 in two separate pots? Either way, what would be the proper pot size? I just bought a new clay pot and I sure don't want some ol' half price bulbs busting it into bits!!

Thanks so much for your help!
    Carol

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I use really big plastic pots--no smaller than 2-gallon pots, and usually 5-gallon or larger. I don't have much choice about it, even though I'm in Zone 7. Cannas survive our winter cold, but they never break dormancy if left in the ground because our soil doesn't warm up enough. In short, they rot away come mid-spring. I now dig my cannas, store them indoors, and start them in a warm place in late winter.

• Silka Buns
    7 years ago

I have outdoor canas indoor. Just water a lot and feed once a week. They need to ve repotted. They dont like direct warm afternoon window sun so i put my curtain up for them then.