Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Am I crazy? (photo heavy)

So the other day I am driving down a dirt road looking for butterflies when I spot one I have never seen before. Out I jump into this.

Thistle patch

{{gwi:525084}}

Wearing nothing but flip flops and shorts. Yeahp you can imagine what happened. Even got stung once for my efforts.

Some of these I have named that I know for certain and as I search online and find out what they are I will edit this post.

Cabbage white *edit* I know think this is a female Clouded sulphur *edit* thanks to larry, again :), this is a pine white.

{{gwi:525085}}

*edit* Side view

{{gwi:525086}}

Not quite sure on this one *edit* leaning towards mylitta crescent

{{gwi:525087}}

Sulphur *edit* Male Clouded Sulphur

{{gwi:525088}}

Loquin's Admiral?

{{gwi:451888}}

Aphrodite Fritillary

{{gwi:525089}}

Northern Crescent *edit* a fritillary lol *edit* I believe now a color phase of the Aphrodite Fritillary.

{{gwi:525090}}

Unknown at present *edit* I think a Red Admiral

{{gwi:525091}}

It would only open its wings to fly so this was the best I got under harsh light. *edit* never seen the incoming bee till now

{{gwi:525092}}

Great spangled fritillary and an Aphrodite Fritillary in the background

{{gwi:451890}}

Hope you have a great day..

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 11:04

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures, SCG, as usual! You're quite brave to go into a field of thorny thistles!

The 'red admiral' is a painted lady, and the 'northern crescent' is some type of fritillary - I'll let others decide which type.

Sherry

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, you are crazy. But, we like you any way, since we benefit by getting to see your fantastic photos!

Martha

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Zero points for your first ID, that is a male Pine White, Neophasia menapia, they have a very distinctive pattern among the whites.

Has rare population outbreaks of millions in conifer forests of the PNW, defoliates entire stands of trees. Most years there are just a few around.

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

Very cool never seen a lorquins admiral before

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

LOL. This post really did make me laugh out loud! I think that you have caught the butterfly crazy that we are all also afflicted with! Most here can certainly relate to the jumping out and running in scenario!! I once heard of someone actually breaking a bone in their haste to get outside with the camera after spotting a butterfly through the window. Love love love your photos. So cool to be able to see the butterflies from your area. Thanks for sharing with us. We will never tire of your photos. :o)
    Angie

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@misssherry Quite interesting as the red admiral is in the same genus (Vanessa) as your painted lady and look almost identical. Wish it wasn't so rare it is quite pretty.

@docmom Thanks!

@larry_gene yeahp you got it again! Interesting fact on them and I don't see many here either.

@BERGER123 It is an neat butterfly. Too bad that guy was so beat up. He was the reason I bailed out of the car. Only one I have seen.

@bandjzmom Yeahp, I have got the craze. Wife thinks I am certifiable dashing out of the house with camera after catching a glimpse of a butterfly out the window. Thanks, as well!

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Where there is one Lorquin's, there are likely several, although it is getting late in the season for low elevations.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Yes, we have all done some crazy things for butterflies! Enjoying your photos of BFs we don't get in the mid section of the states.

Sandy

Sponsored