Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_pepper_lady

Losing brugs to the heat

amelia_pepper_lady
14 years ago

Looks like I've lost 2 or 3 brugs to the heat. We haven't had rain in over 2 weeks. None predicted for the next 7 days.

I carry water to them. Just looks like it wasn't enough for some.

Leaves wilted and turned brown since yesterday. Still gave them water with fertilizer and Epsom salts. Sunday is fertilizer day; thought they might like some Epsom salt.

Comments (18)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Amelia I am spending most of the day outside now to water. So far the brugs in the pots need at least twice a day.

I hope that new growth will come back for you!

Lucy

• luvmy3afhounds
    14 years ago

Amelia,
    How awful to lose brugs to the heat and it is not even officially summer yet! We will be in the high 90's all this week. It is a bit early for it to be that hot!!! Hope you get rain and hope your brugs rebound for you!
    Joyce

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Just keep watering it, it should send out new growth. That has happened to me before. All the leaves drop off, but when you water them, they will grow back.
    Siam

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

I deal with that all summer long. Its just a struggle to keep them alive for six months of the year. Keep them watered, and if possible get them in a shadier place, they'll come back as long as the roots didn't cook.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Just keep watering. I don't fertilize plants that are stressed. I think that does more harm then good but I do give stressed plants Superthrive and/or B1. Hopefully the roots are still ok and will send up new growth. I also wish I could send our rain your way. We are having the opposite problem and I've lost a few plants (not brugs) to too much water.

• rialira
    14 years ago

why can't there ever be a happy medium :P it's 60s and cloudy/raining every single day here. has been all this month, all last month, and the month before that too.

so hey, you can have my weather if you want it!

• peony_tx
    14 years ago

I'd take your sixty degrees and give you 76 at 5 am. The grass is always greener . . .

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

If they are in the ground and you can't reach them with a hose you better put up some kind of temporary structure for shade. They need a deep soaking at least once a day in the summer. We are hitting a hundred now and will be that way for the rest of the year now.

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

I agree with Karyn, do not fertilize when it is so hot.
    Are these plants in pots and if so, what colour are the pots and where are they sitting? If so, can you get them out of the pots and planted in the ground.... it is less work and better for them IMHO.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are in the ground and getting shade in the afternoon. (My big problem is finding a place where they will get some sun in the morning!)

I only have Snowbank in a pot. She resides under the carport. Apparently, she loves motorcycle exhaust. As she is thriving, I have no plans to move her any time soon.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Roflmao, maybe thats the secret to making snowbanks happy. I had to ammend my soil a lot with the ones in the ground to make them do well. They droop during the day but perk back up when the sun starts going down. The only ones in the ground that aren't doing well are one that everything around it isn't doing good either and a couple in the front where I didn't ammend the soil as well and they don't get enough sun. I found a good spot to put a new bed but it will have to wait til fall now. Its too hot to do that kind of work. I also want to take down the back chain link fence first so it had to wait.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Kristy, I get us a Snowbanks...IF I can place them at John's work?

roflmao we are going to have the biggest Snowbanks...if only that would be IT!

Lucy

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your heat problems. Would you like to trade? I've had 9 straight days of rain, the last 2 were hail. You can imagine what my brugs and everything else look like. But hey, they're well watered!!

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

I can supply all the exhaust fumes you want but don't think they would like full sun with black asphalt as well, lol.

• norma51_grow
    14 years ago

sorry to butt in. . . this is the 2nd time i've read about someone giving brugs epsom salt. . . what does it do for the plant?

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

Norma, you're not butting in at all. Anyone is welcome to ask questions. :-)

Epsom Salts contain Magnesium (not sodium), magnesium is essential in small doses to the successful production of chlorophyll.

Per Wikipedia:
    In agriculture and gardening, magnesium sulfate is used to correct magnesium deficiency in soil (magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule). It is most commonly applied to potted plants, or to magnesium-hungry crops, such as potatoes, roses, tomatoes, peppers and cannabis. The advantage of magnesium sulfate over other magnesium soil amendments (such as dolomitic lime) is its high solubility.

Since Brugmansia is in the same family as potatoes and tomatoes (Solanaceae), they are considered a magnesium hungry crop.

Hope that helps!
    Ryan

• norma51_grow
    14 years ago

Thanks!! by small doses, . . . a teaspoon to a quart of water???

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I use 1 tablespoon of ES per gallon of water once a month. You can use the regular epsom salts that you get at the drug store. There's no need to buy "agricultural grade". I use it on most of my plants, not just brugs.