Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perk3

winterization of calla lily

perk3
14 years ago

Last year I bought a beautiful yellow calla lily. it was the first time I had bought one. I brought the bulb in and put it in my cold basement in the fall. In the spring when it was time for planting i noticed that it had just started to sprout. It seems to grow fine but when it flowered it never turned the wonderful yellow. It stayed green which i thought was really strange. I was wondering if i did anything wrong during the winterization. I still have it in the ground now and would appreciate any suggestions. I am in zone 5b. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I don't think you did anything wrong at all

I have had the same happen oft times.
    Not sure why that is
    But the blooms and plant itself are so nice, don't you think
    Especially for us up here in Canada

Needs to come in though for winter. Your bulb will be larger maybe little bulbs around it even
    It is ever so easy to overwinter and you will have more bulbs

But as to why the colour does not always come true I don't know

• kayli-gardener
    14 years ago

I have a white Calla Lily in a pot and would like to know if I can just take the pot into the greenhouse or garage for over wintering. Or, should I remove the bulb from the pot and just store the bulb, replanting next spring.

Many thanks for any information.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Did you plant it in the shade outdoors?

• judith5bmontreal
    14 years ago

Kayli-gardener, I have several Calla Lillies in pots, and I just let them go yellow (like tulips), then cut back and bring the pots into my unheated garage (in the dark) and leave them to sleep for the winter. In the spring (late March), I top-dress with compost/worm casings, water and then set under my lights to give them a head-start. So far that has worked well for me. I think I may have to repot mine this spring though, as this will be their fourth year in the same pots.
    Judith

• sheryl_ontario
    14 years ago

I have about 12 calla lily seedlings I grew this summer. They are in little pots on my windowsill. Should I put them in the root cellar with my other tender bulbs, in the pots, as is or keep growing them on the windowsill all winter? Some are turning yellow, don't know if this is just from being dug up and potted or if they are going dormant on their own.

• mcpweld_telus_net
    12 years ago

I am planting my calla lilys in the front flower bed this fall. My sister grows them and they winter quite well, I live in the mountains in alberta. My sister lives only a few blocks from me so I am hoping iame luck.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

My sister grows them and they winter quite well, I live in the mountains in alberta.

From all the info I've been able to glean on the net, there are only a couple of cultivars in this genus that are borderline winter hardy. If your sister has luck with them overwintering in her garden it is likely because they are in a garden bed very close to the house that would receive a good deal of heat in the winter radiated from the basement walls.

See here for some more information and if you're thirsty for more knowledge just Google 'zantedeschia'.

Pieter

• ianna
    12 years ago

I always thought calla lily couldn't overwinter outdoors until one season when I accidentally left a plant out and was surprised to see it grow back the following season. The location was far from my house but close to the fence. it was beneath some shrubbery. I attribute it's survival to the possibility of having created a microclimate that is suitable for it and possibly because it was in an area that really got buried in deep snow. Snow acts like a insulating mulch so somehow it did survive.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

neat is it that some Calla Lilies do survive winter in Canada

I have lots of them now form several years of growing same

Some I now leave outside and it amazes me that they do survive generally It is tough for them to do so but the area where I leave them overwinter outside is yes close to the house and I put lots of fall leaves on the bed

The simplest thing really is to bring them indoors Either in the pots they grew in and just leave them to dry out but not to cold or take them out and store in a paper bag with leaves or shredded paper The bulbs or whatever they are called correctly are for sure tough