Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Is this a sign of addiction?

marricgardens
14 years ago

Every year I can't wait to start seed sowing again. Since I started wintersowing it is easier, not so much to do in the house - yeah right! Right now I am getting my containers ready for wintersowing. I fill them with soil and wait to pop the seeds in. Even then, sometimes I start to early. This year I'm going to try and wait til March. Try being the key word. Marg

Comments (6)

• xaroline
    14 years ago

If it is an addiction then: It is one of the better ones to have!
    Good for you getting the jugs ready ahead of time.
    I have started some wildflowers and herbs which need stratification. Gardening is an around the year activity.
    There is always something to do.
    Caroline Zone 3 Calgary

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I have lots of containers stashed in my garage and have made sure I have some bags of seed-starting soil ready. However, I am not going to fill my containers until just before use. I want the soil to have just the right moisture level. I premix mine in a large plastic bucket, add water, and then fill my containers. Seeds go in last.

• northerner_on
    14 years ago

Yes, it's sure an addiction, but luckily, no rehab. for it!! This year I am a bit behind with things, but I am just finishing up with washing my containers, and am looking for cheap seed starter to save for later. I have already marked many things from my seed catalogues and have visions of the new additions to my gardens in my head. I have tried, but just cannot limit myself to just a few containers - I guess it will come at some time, but I just can't wait to get started.
    Northerner.

• sharont
    14 years ago

I consider myself retired and a seed collector. The more I learn about what treatments are needed for a genus, the earlier I sow them. Had some leftovers from last years 'collection' and sowed them already..50ish pots! And they are outside waiting for snow, no cover. Keeping an eye out for mice. They'll be looking for my seed under the snow throughout the winter months no matter!
    Come January & February, I'll be sowing a lot more seed purchased from the exchanges.
    Have my Agromix, chick grit, sand in the basement and a pail of the above premixed sowing medium.
    Anticipation of new seed supplies is too exciting! Help, I'm addicted! I need a life! Nah, I love this one.
    Addictions of this type are rare and healthy!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Well, so far this year I've not had the bug for sowing yet. I did do a couple of trades, but simply because the opportunity was there with a couple of American gardeners and I couldn't let this opportunity go by since the seeds offered were some I truly wanted and vice versa.

I've spotted two types of seeds that I REALLY want from one particular seed company so now am trying to get in contact with them to see if I can purchase them without plastic. Unfortunately I became a bankruptcy statistic this year... Fortunately I know about winter sowing!!! LOL!

• didzgarden
    14 years ago

Its been a couple of years for me, but the bug has bitten me again! I think Im going to have one complete 'Leap of Faith' sowing on the Solstice, and just sow up as much as I can from the left over seed collection that I have. (LOF because its a few years old now...)

It feels like coming home to be back on the forums again. ATM I am giddy with excitement, and plans.. but stuck on bedrest in the hospital until this little one arrives. Which is making my dreaming, and wishlists even longer.

Little One is getting his own dedicated garden this year. After all, we can call it his fault can't we? *Grins*

Good to 'see' you!

Didz

Sponsored