Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

Help! Cat needs good home....

gurley157fs
17 years ago

I need to find a home for my cat 'Beasley'. Apparently my ever-increasing sinus infections are related to cat allergies that I didn't know that I have.

We got Beasley from the SPCA here in Sumter S.C.. He had been in the shelter for over three months because he is afraid of children. Beasley has had all four paws declawed so he has no defense against children who want to be rough with him - and that is exactly what we saw the day we went to the shelter - a child yanking his leg through the cage and the parent standing by not saying a word about it.

He must stay indoors all of the time because without his claws he has no defense against dogs or other cats.

If there is anyone in the Columbia/Sumter area who can give a 4 year old indoor cat a good home I would be willing to bring him to you. I do need to find a home for him but I have been dealing with these allergies this long, I can wait a bit until I find a good place for him. I don't want to take him back to the shelter for more of the same treatment.

If you are interested you can e-mail me - for some reason I don't get e-mail responses to posts anymore.

{{gwi:547644}}

Comments (6)

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

One solution you might consider if no one responds is to keep Beasley outside in a screened in porch or something similar. I have friends that are extremely allergic to cats and after taking them to hospital after they stepped into my house (only for a minute) I have nothing but respect for allergic reactions.

My aged and ill tempered cat is banished to the back porch because she has trouble finding a litter box (revenge? old age? health reasons?). It took her a while to adjust to her outdoor cage but it has greatly improved her health and she is much friendlier to humans now that she sees them walking by all the time.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

We're all allergic, but we get by with heated kennels in the garage and lots of claritan. I have allergic asthma, so I understand your discomfort! Beasley is just so cute.

• heather_q
    17 years ago

Another option is to call around to some rescue groups and ask for either a Petfinder.org courtesy listing or offer to "foster" him until they can find a suitable home. They would collect an adoption fee and you'd have some say-so in the home he goes into. This isn't a necessarily fast option as right now cat numbers are high and adoptions are low. If you need to find some rescues in your area, you can visit www.petfinder.org and click on "shelters and rescues" at the top of the page. Just make sure you tell them you'll foster as so many rescues are super full this time of year.

Good luck!

Heather

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So far no luck in finding a home for him. I have moved him to the sunroom - he was staying out there voluntarily most of the time anyway. My headaches and sinus problems have eased considerably but I'm told it will be a long time until we can get all that completely out of the house.

Never thought there could be so much difference between having a cat in the house versus a dog!

He doesn't seem to mind too much. He can see outside all around and his litterbox, food and water have always been out there.

• doc_dot
    17 years ago

That is one adorable cat. He has a better home in your sunroom than many cats have elsewhere.

If your medical insurance covers it, it is possible to get allergy tested and take injections that include cat allergens. I know because I've done it for years and years to be able to keep our wonderful companions.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

If you have one animal allergy, another is more than likely to develop. Might as well learn to deal with the cat hair, because the dog won't be far behind....