Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n_gentle

N.sanguinea growing tip broke

n.gentle
16 years ago

I received a N.sanguinea in the mail I guess the mail carrier was a little rough or something and the top growing part of it broke of there's about 1CM left on it will it be ok?

It looks fine besides that the mix it's in is good and it has one pitcher and one forming is there anything I can do to help it recover or will it not grow?

The N.sanguinea is in a 3.5 inch pot with LFS/perlite and is two inches high and right now I have it in a south window the humidity in the basement is 43% usually it's 39% or 48% at night and 36% or 38% during the day and temps is at 71F to 74F in the day and 66F or 68F at night will this be fine for it or will it need higher humidity to recover from this?

So far the leaves looks great nice green color and the leaves just below the break are still green no sign of drying up on them so hopefully it'll recover and grow well.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (8)

• n.gentle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The part that broke off it the very top part of the nepenthes the one where the leaf hasn't opened yet sorry I'm not sure what it's called.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

It should recover in time. It'll find another route to grow if it is growing right.

If the mail carrier damaged it, it wasn't packed very well. Can you say where you got it from? If it is a reputable nursery, you may be able to contact them and explain it and you could get a replacement. If it is from a nursery, we could benefit from knowing who isn't packing their plants well enough for shipping.

• n.gentle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flytrapshope.com is where I got it I thought I would give them a try the purple pitcher plant venosa came in fine it's just the N.sanguinea I'm not sure if I could get a replacement I'd have to send this one back most likely to get another one. =\

If it'll find anothe way to grow then I'll try to keep it and maybe order from somewhere else for a N.sanguinea I dunno.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Maybe you could at least let him know that there was a problem -even if you just want to keep it as is. I think that is the only nep he carries so he may not have the shipping wrinkles ironed out yet. It may help to know that there could be some improvements in his method. Just be nice about it and it would probably be cool.

• n.gentle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I told him about it so far the items I've got in the past have came in good condition so I'm keeping it in a few weeks I'm sure it'll grow well and I'll still order from him if I need something.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

N. sanguinea, along with other Nepenthes, will grow vines out in all direction. When one growing tip breaks or is damaged, the plant produces another one along a lower growth point. Look closely at the leaves of your plant, just above each leaf is a tiny knob. Those knobs will grow out into new vines as needed. My juvenile Nepenthes sanguinea had one vine for a year before creating two new vines at its base. Eventually it will have several more vines as it gets bigger. Just keep it happy and it will be just fine. Your humidity level is fine so long as the place you got it from preadapted the plant to lower humidity, though 40-50 % is just fine. N. sanguinea can grow in a very wide range of temperatures and humidity levels, so is quite a good houseplant so long as it gets a good south window or strong florescent lights of about 12000 lumens 4-5 inches over the plant.

• n.gentle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it's been about a week since I received the Sanguinea and so far it's doing well the pitcher the is developed when it came is still fine it has colored up a bit more also the pitcher that was developing opened today it's a little bigger than the older pitcher and is starting to get a little color.

I plan on repoting my other nep and this one into bigger pots will a 6inch pot be fine for the one in a 3.5inch pot or would it be a good idea to not pot up since it's still recovering so far I don't see any basals yet or any growth nodes.

If it's ok to repot when should I do it? Spring, Summer, Fall or can I do it anytime of the year?

The media I have in mind is pinebark mulch, Orchid mix(firbark, charcoal, and perlite something like that) and LFS I'm thinking maybe 1/2/1 will this mix be ok the two neps I'm repoting is a N.sanguinea and a N.gentle.

• sehtnepen
    16 years ago

That is a very reputable seller. The growth tip being damaged is most likely a result of the carrier and this can happen even when a plant is VERY well packed. Either way growth tips snap a lot and this is something the plant copes with. It will activate a node (a dormant growth point) between leaves. The plant will then grow from this spot on. For the price and size of that Sanguinea, you will find no better deal. I bought two from him and both of mine came just fine. I have one in a tank under lights, and one outside. Your mix sounds like an ideal mix, provided you don't let it dry out completely. Mulch and orchid mix don't really retain water, only the LFS will. You can repot at any time, however times of longer photo-periods might be best when growing under the sun (now would be just fine). Also a 6 inch pot sounds like it will be big enough for the plant for more than a year (maybe even 2). Nepenthes don't always grow huge root structures, and so can be under-potted. Oh yeah typically new nodes take a while to activate in highlander species (like sanguinea). A lowlander species (typically faster growing) can activate a node much faster. You could just wait until the new node pops up to repot the plant, or you could do it now. Nepenthes are fairly hardy, provided most conditions are good. My Sanguinea that is outside is still in the same pot that I received it in, and it isn't complaining. If you would like to see pics of my plant, and other Sanguineas from that same vendor, simply google:

Andy's Sanguinea

The first link that pops up is a thread I started on that forum. Andy (the vendor) also owns that forum and will happily respond to any question or complaint you have. It is also a very good forum for getting your questions answered quickly and extensively.