Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karendee_gw

Kids VFT dying- not sure how to revive it

karendee
14 years ago

We have 2 very small VFT bought at a big box store. We tried to feed some small live crickets with no luck.

they are inside now because I was afraid to put them outside and shock them.

they are small and wilting a lot. I am afraid they are about to die!

I am wondering if I should put them outside and get them used to outdoors gradually.

Also, should I re-pot them? they are in small 2x2 inch pots.

I read here but I am confused what to do.

any advice is helpful. I am hoping I can keep these alive or at least learn what to do with one if I purchase a replacement.

If I do kill them anyone know where I can get them at a good price? I wanted a pitcher plant also but the kids wanted VFT's

thanks so much!!!

Comments (4)

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If these are small plants, then feeding them crickets is a mistake. Crickets are too large for the small traps, the insect has to be smaller then the trap so the trap can close totally around it and make a tight seal for digestion to begin. Otherwise, bacteria will rut the prey and cause the trap to die.

Another thing, VFT requires energy to digest its meal, but plants sold at the stores are usually week from abuse and lack of light. The suffer trap closure during transportation and the bumping they experience. That is a waste of energy; reason why plants are in shock and any new traps it produces are smaller and sluggish in closing before recovering from the shock. And most likely they may have been watered with tap water high in minerals and chlorinated by the store clerks.

Another thing, they are being kept in a high environment inside the infamous cubes-of-death or any other container enclosed with a cup on top. Exposing them in a drier environment will worsen the shock. Taking them out now will kill them for sure.

First off, after buying VFTs. Leave them alone dont tease them by closing the traps for fun. That will expand their reserves and eventually kill the plant. I place them in a west or east facing window, these are sun-loving plants. Keep them in inside the container with a corner lifted a little. That way it can gradually get used to the drier environment in your house, giving it time to build the waxy coating all plants produce on their surface to protect them from low humidity environment. Bit by bit lift one corner more, checking always for wilting. Depending how abused your plants are, this may take a week or two.

Use only distilled water; you can get those at any store for under a dollar. Next choice is rainwater, followed by R/O water. DonÂt water with tap water or drinking water, both have minerals that will build up in time and tap water may contain traces amount of chlorine and fluoride. I bought and was given a couple of store bought VFT, I would flush the plant with distilled water to remove any impurities, that way I donÂt have to transplant and further aggravate an already weakened plant by disturbing its roots. Just water the plant and let the water drain totally through the plant before putting it in a water dish.

ItÂs not necessary to repot them for now, VFT have a weak root system so they can grow quite well in a small pot. Usually the best time to repot them is before the beginning of their growing season in early spring. Best media is 1 part perlite and one part sphagnum peat moss (donÂt use decorative moss or basket moss at all, will kill your plants!). Make sure these to ingredient contain no plant food, fertilizer and/or wetting agent. Both ingredients have to be pure with no additives or your will end up with dead plant. Reason some people may have plants that are growing fine for a few months then suddenly the crash. Sudden death of the plant.

Place your plants in a water dish, make sure the media is moist but not water logged.

Now if you want to grow pitcher plants next to your VFTs, make sure pitcher plants are North American Sarracenias and not tropical pitcher plants Nepenthes. Nepenthes require a different mixture of soil and their root will rut in a wetter growing media from the one your VFT are growing.

Below is a pic of a typical Sarracenia hybrid and easy to grow and often sold at stores. This plant S. x 'Judith Hindle' like all Sarracenias, its pitcher are tubular and they can make a good companion with your VFT.
    {{gwi:552607}}
    {{gwi:552608}}

Once you have well established plants and depending where you live, the can be put outdoors. Giving them the brilliant coloring to the pitcher plant and red inside the leave of the VFT.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

I's just add that outside is the eventual goal, during the growing season but now is the time to nurse it back to health. Artificial lighting is a good way to get from neglected storebought plant to full sunshine.

• angellilly
    14 years ago

Last year i found a venus flytrap in a trash can near a nursery;the plant was spindly,almost dead and the soil bone dry.Some good water and a little light was the cure.The plant this year and its offset:
    {{gwi:552609}}
    So dont worry about yours,they r tougher than we think!
    cheers

• karendee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, thanks everyone!!! This was a big help!
    the pictures are great also. I hope to have something like that someday!!
    Karen

Sponsored