Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnromano_gw

Newbie Pitcher Plant Question

johnromano
16 years ago

I am new to this so don't go for the jugular just yet....

I have this pitcher plant here and I am curious if anyone knows which species it is. I know it is a Nepenthes, however I am not sure which type.

Also not sure what it is going on with it. I have it had for 8 months and it has grown 3 new leaves, no pitchers though. The one on there was there when I purchased it.

I also included a picture of something going on with the leaves. I know the plant is slow growing.

It is in a sphagnum/peat moss substrate. I use distilled water from my school's chemistry lab, temperature is low seventies and it gets full sun.

Will pitchers come in eventually or is it somehow picking up nutrients in the substrate?

Any ideas about the leaves? Too much sun?

{{gwi:553154}}

{{gwi:553155}}

Any help would be appreciated, feel free to scold me for not being properly educated.

John

Comments (8)

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

That is definitely Nepenthes truncata. This species is easy to grow, they can tolerate low humidity in the air as long as you keep the media moist but not water logged. Nepenthes like well soil with good drainage, which normally consist of 1 part sphagnum moss and 1 part perlite. DonÂt ever use regular potting soil!

The pitchers of N. truncata are one of the largest once it reaches maturity, they can easily grow as big as a 2 liter Pepsi bottles long. Below are pictures of my plant growing in a 6 inch pot, this is how the plant looks when it has its pitchers developed. My plant is around 6 inches across and is making pitchers over 7 inches. How big is your plant?

{{gwi:553156}}
    {{gwi:553157}}
    {{gwi:553159}}

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello johnromano,

Nepenthes truncata also prefer temperatures a bit higher than low 70s. More like high 70s to about 80 degrees and can adapt to lower humidity, but prefer about 70% or so. If you are growing it in a window, it is not really direct sun, but that is ok as the plant requires indirect but still quite bright sun like it would get through a good east or even south facing window. The plant looks fine, it's environment is close to, but not exactly what it likes, but it will survive. They are very adaptable and easy growing plants.

Be careful with all that water around the electrical outlet...

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

Looking at your pictures more carefully. It may have just recovered from shock and is just barely shooting out new leaves, it has nothing to do with the substrate. Was it delivered through mail after you purchased it?

Truncata is a slow growing plant and in my experience with my plant, it may take up to 2 months for a new pitcher to develop. Usually they prefer filtered sunlight but I donÂt see the leaves are burned by too much sunlight so it looks like itÂs doing just fine. Just give it a little time.

On the other hand, the cracks on the leave seemed to be caused by the plastic cords of the hanging pot. DonÂt move it around too much or you will end up breaking off easily the developing pitchers. Just be patient and keep us posted how your plant is doing.

• johnromano
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The largest leave is 13cm across and the plant is about 25cm across.

It does have a grow light above it but not shining directly on it.

Do you think I should repot it with a perlite mixture? Or leave it be?

• jonocross
    16 years ago

How much time per day does it get the light?

Is the mixture it's in... did it come in that or did you put it in it?

I'm thinking humidity Might be your problem. Alot of my neps stop pitchering if it drops too far below 50 percent humidity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• orquidman2004
    16 years ago

I have learned a lot from reading about it! I use peat moss, perlite, sand, and orquid bark on mine! My plant is about a year old [with me], and it is making a lot of pitchers now. It is hanging on a tree in the backyard.
    Luis

• johnromano
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It gets about 12 hours of light per day.

I have repotted it (about 3 months ago) but I kept the original mixture around the roots and placed it in the new pot with spagnum moss.

I am thinking of repotting it with some perlite at the bottom for better drainage.

• reed394
    16 years ago

heres a pic

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:553153}}