Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquilachrysaetos

Finally settled on tree for north front yard.

aquilachrysaetos
13 years ago

After exploring and researching my options. I have finally chosen. I initially thought I wanted a native oak but my readings on oaks are not very encouraging as I am not an especially attentive gardener. Weeds come and go in my yard like the tides. I will get most of them yanked then when I look again they're back as high as my eyeballs. The yard on that side is also rather narrow. I'm afraid any oak big enough to give shade will outgrow the space.

Crapes don't seem to mind my hit and run style. I have three of them. I think CM Muskogee will do the job. It will get big enough to give good shade but won't hang over the roof.

Comments (10)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Wise choice. Oaks need space; a small area isn't a good place for a large tree.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Yeah, an oak gets awfully big. I sure wish I had room for one!
    Renee

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Me too. If I didn't have to worry about the cesspool I would say heck with it and plant one anyway. I have seen many a magestic oak towering over a wee little house and have been envious.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

We had in our town a truly beautiful oak towering over a small cottage. One day with no warning a huge limb dropped onto the roof of the cottage, bringing it right to the ground. After seeing the result I would never feel safe, although in this case no one was hurt. Al

• surfcityhb
    13 years ago

I've had surprising success with a small (deciduous) tree, a Cercis "Forest Pansy". It's actually done much better, bloomed (in spring) more profusely than and isn't as picky as my native western redbud! It's not super dense though, so if it's a lot of shade you want, it wouldn't work.

Another smallish (deciduous) tree (about 15 feet) that's done well for me and casts heavier shade is a chaste tree (vitex agnus-castus). A reliable summer bloomer, even near the coast where I am. Not picky about soil and I never water it.

• surfcityhb
    13 years ago

Sorry. I know you've already made up your mind...

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Your choice I think was a good one. The CM can be grown or pruned to fit any space and the branching structure especially when dormant, can be very attractive. The previous poster mentioned the Vitex agnus-castus although not the best for this purpose, a wonderful large shrub, not a native, but grows like one. Any California garden with room for a large deciduous shrub would be wise to look into Vitex. Al

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Of the redbuds I prefer western redbud. I'veseen forest pansy beafore. It's a beautiful tree but the 'wilder' appearance of the western appeals to me more. There's a spot in the back corner of my lot that I have in mind for one. Western redbud is not at it's best in coastal areas but I am inland and they look beautiful in my area.

Vitex belongs to that class of plants that will jump into my shopping cart if I am not absolutely flat broke. One of these days there will be one in my backyard peering over the fence that faces the street.

• surfcityhb
    13 years ago

Yes, you're right dis, westerns don't bloom well near the coast where I am. In the fifteen years I've had the tree, it's only bloomed well, one or two years when we've had a cold enough snap the previous winter, which is a shame, because the hummingbirds really flock to the tree when it does bloom. I, too, prefer the multi-trunk growth of the western, but the forest pansy makes up for it with red/burgundy coloring in the summer, and bronzey fall color--and it actually blooms at the coast. I have one near a gate with an arch over it, and I like the way the arching vase-shape of the tree frames the arch of the gate.

{{gwi:520466}}

I know the vitex can be a shrub, but mine reaches over my patio furniture that can be seen in the lower right hand corner.

{{gwi:520454}}

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful garden!

Mine is a trifle crispy in places because of the heat but natives and trees do well for me. I'll take some pics and post them.