Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

How Do You Gauge When It's Time to Stop?

susanlynne48
14 years ago

I have so many butterflies this year (be careful what you wish for...) that I almost....almost feel like it's getting out of hand. Well, maybe not quite yet.

I brought in more Snowberry Clearwing hatchlings and 3 eggs. I collected 12 Cloudless Sulphur eggs on the Senna bicapsularis. She was big and almost white in color. Does this mean she's an older gal or are some of the CSs just much lighter in color?

Mamas Monarch and BST continue to lay eggs as well as the GFs, HEs, and QMs.

The butterflies are everywhere and it's just so amazing.

Susan

Comments (10)

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Although sometimes you have to wonder...

• Butterflyer1966
    14 years ago

Hey Susan,
    do you have your Senna b. planted in the ground or in a pot?? I was just wondering since I am also in Zone 7 and I miss my Senna..Mine were huge in Florida , but no worries down there about killing it by freeze..
    Please let me know and if you get seeds may I please have some??
    Hope you had a wonderful weekend..
    Susanne(SUE)

By the way, my BUCKEYE cats are getting big and a bunch of them are already in their chrysalides.. :)

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Sue. Mine are seed sown about 3 or 4 years ago and they continue to self-sow each year. They probably don't get as big as those in Florida, but can get to 4' tall and as wide and are lovely plants.

I grew S. alata one year but it is much too large for my little home garden, and it did not set seed before the frost got it. The bicapsularis blooms earlier and has sufficient time to set seed before our first frost date. I like the S. alata but it just is out of proportion for the yard.

I also grow S. hebecarpa and Partridge Pea which the butterflies use, too, and both are hardy, coming back from the roots every year. The Wild Senna hebecarpa gets pretty ratty looking this time of year for me, and the Xmas Cassia picks up the slack. Wild Senna and Partridge Pea look good from late spring thru mid-summer. Sandy and others may have experience with other Sennas they can discuss with you.

Be happy to share seeds - I always have loads!

• Butterflyer1966
    14 years ago

Susan,
    I would so appreciate seeds of all of those if you have, even the Partridge Pea..lol
    If I would have known they would make it here, I would have dug up many more plants, especially since I found out that the new owner of my home flattened the entire garden.. :'-(
    I think you still have my addy..
    Could it be that I sent you some seeds of the Alata a few yrs back??
    I remember I sent a bunch to people here on the forum..
    Just holler at me whenever u have some and I will send you the envelope etc..
    Greetings
    Susanne(SUE)

• butterflymomok
    14 years ago

Hi,

Whatever seeds Susan doesn't have, I have. I have tons of Partridge pea plants. Seeds will most likely be ready in November.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will do, Sue. Many tropicals, though not all, reseed in our moderate climate.

I have been feeding the cats and watching the activity in the garden. I have Ruby Throats this year and they interact with the butterflies, too.

I collected about 8 more CS eggs last night.

Susan

• butterflymomok
    14 years ago

Fantastic, Susan. I'm trying not to take any cats or eggs in as we are going to KY to see the grandsons next week. I still don't know what I'm going to do with the Tawny Emperors. I know they won't make it if I put them back out on the tree--too many predators. I'll try to get you called this week. I've been so busy with therapy and trying to get everything in order here. I have so much to get done since I've missed about nine weeks of gardening! No one took over for me. LOL

sandy

• Butterflyer1966
    14 years ago

Hey girl!!
    Thanks so so much Susan and Sandy for the offers..just let me know whenever those seedpods are ready..I have lots of Purple Coneflower seeds and also Beebalm seeds if you like some..My garden is just getting really established so I know in the future I will have many more seeds to share..
    Butterfly-Greetings
    Susanne(SUE)

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

Having so many caterpillars to raise can be overwhelming, but it is fun, Susan, and I'm so glad you've got plenty of them this year!
    You'll know when it's time to stop! ;)
    Sherry

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're welcome, Sue. Between Sandy and I, we've got you covered. Will make you up a nice little care package, including some other host plant seeds I have for a surprise.

I think a Clouded or Orange S has layed eggs on my new little Trifolium repens 'Red Feather' plants that I am about to plant out front. I hope so as I cannot find the eggs or cats on the regular lawn clover, T. repens.

I have 2 of the tiniest chrysalises for the Gray Hairstreak that you have ever seen. About the size of a tiny pea. I am so anxious to see them eclose. I have released about 30 RAs over the last 3 days, 6 BSTs. 1 Monarch and 4 TEs. Collected another tiny brown form Snowberry Clearwing to add to the container of like cats. An adult SC joined me in the garden this morning to nectar as I deadheaded flowers. I didn't scare him a bit!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert