Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraya12

Need Warmth and Cohesion in Living Room/Entry Area

saraya12
11 years ago
Hello,

I need help with my living room furniture arrangement. The room feels cold and lacking cohesiveness. I am renting an apartment and can't paint. I believe I should replace the coffee table with something round? I don't want to get rid of either of the sofas or the TV stand (budget), but everything else is fair game. Do the wall shelves seem like they belong too much in a "college dorm"? I think I should replace those too, but not sure with what or where. What about adding a rug? I am just at a loss with this room. I've fallen out of love with contemporary style and really do not want to take this room any further into that direction.

It also opens up into a smaller room that is the entry/dining area. It doesn't have much available wall space as it opens up into the kitchen, and there's a closet on the opposite wall. I also need to store my bike in this room.

Any suggestions at all to add some warmth and cohesiveness to this space?

Comments (9)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    I'd turn the coffee table 90 degrees to better fit between the two sofas, which could come together a bit. I'd move the map of the world to the area between the TV and the book shelves.
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    I would suggest taking your computer area and working it into the book shelves that you currently have.... that would be a great little corner for a work station and it will free up some more living space. I agree by rotating your coffee table. To add a little more warmth and color you could anchor everything down with a area rug. Rugs on carpet are seen a lot. And Wall decals are great for apartments. You can then take those with you from place to place or even move them around since they don't damage your walls. I would say frame that map on your wall so it doesn't look like you just threw it up there and add a couple throw pillows and you will be surprised by the difference.
  • PRO
    Val Provost
    11 years ago
    I would begin by finding a rug (5x8 or larger) and some cushions that incorporate colors from both sofas. That would create harmony in the room until you buy new pieces. Do turn the coffee table around. and invest in some art (visit thrift stores or ikea for lower cost art) that will cover more wallspace. Think poster size.
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    11 years ago
    I would focus on a sage and red color palette since those are the colors (?) of the sofas you are keeping. Decide if you want silver, gold or wood as accents. Lose the map poster unless there's a reason you're attached to it, and add art and accessories in your colors. Like Stanton's suggestion to create a work station. When I had my first apartment I installed big hooks along the stairs to hang my bike and created an office under the stairs. Yours might be one-story, but look for clever areas to claim space. Let us know how you're doing!
  • portpiro
    11 years ago
    Agree with making that bookshelf nook into the new computer spot. Lose the map - it's hideous. Black and white rug between the sofas - maybe zebra stripes? - and turn the table around. Is that mirror on the wall gold? If so, buy a can of spray paint and paint it silver. Choose your favorite color and paint the entertainment unit. Painted furniture is very cool right now. A light, bright yellow perhaps or bright gloss red to match the sofa? Ikea have inexpensive framed prints that will really lift the space. Go big rather than small or group a bunch of small framed photos together to make a big display. Lots of itty bitty pictures spread around never looks good.
  • Sigrid
    11 years ago
    You need some stuff on the walls. You can look for art posters in your color scheme or frame your own photos with mats that match your decor. A cluster of several pictures would work well.

Get a rug. You might have trouble matching both the red and the blue. You might need to pick one and get a throw or replacement cover for the other. I'd vote for keeping the red and adding some warm colors.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    I Would suggest a Rug by sterling rugs there are great designs and they can fedex it to you .
    Type:Carpet and Flooring
    Address:Bhadohi,
    IndiaPhone:+919984005333
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I agree with the shelf-to-computer conversion in that alcove. I'd put the bookshelf to the left of the window/slider with the vertical blinds and replace bothshelf units when budget allows. Move the blue sofa in front of the blinds and "L" the red one to face the TV but leaving a walkspace behind it to get to the computer corner. Pull the coffee table close enough to the red sofa to be useful. Since you speak of replacing it and not the tv stand, look for a round table in the same wood as the stand. You might pick up a matching desk for the computer too. This would start steering you away from contemporary. I would try a change of accessories & wall hanging items. What you have looks pretty haphazard and is more "college dorm" than the shelves. How about moving the mirror to the foyer and finding a demi-lune or other small table to go under it? If feasible in your rental, remove the vertical blinds. Sometimes you can use the bones of the blinds for replacement curtains. If there is metal across the top, you can get valances and use magnets, magnetic tape strips &/or magnetic rods for metal doors to "attach" the valances to the metal. Curtain pins can often be inserted into the plastic "hooks" that held the vanes of the blinds. They can hold something lightweight or sheer. You just have to analyze what is there and play with it a bit to determine what can be done. Curtains would warm and soften your room, as would an area rug. Shop at homedecorators.com for selection, price and choice. Good color match on my computer and I often use them for my clients.