Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

The wonders of aloe vera on a wound

johnorange
9 years ago

I had an accident with a tool in my shop Monday evening that resulted in a wrench being pounded into the flesh of my finger with a metal surface behind the finger that didn't give a bit. Not to gross out any who may be faint-at-heart or stomach but I thought some show and tell would be a nice testimonial to the benefits of aloe. I'm not recommending this as an approved protocol since everyone's circumstances are different.
After washing the area with soap and water, I encouraged it to bleed enough to move fluids and possible debris and bacteria out of the wound. Then I cut a liberal leaf from my aloe vera plant, washed the leaf with soapy water, cut the leaf along one side and opened it up, being careful not to touch the gel inside. Then I held the wound open and wiped the gel through it several times. It stung a bit at first. Then I encouraged it to bleed a bit more and wrapped a band aid around it to secure the gouged flap of skin where it would heal in the right position. I taped a splint along the finger to immobilize the joint so it wouldn't re-open later. It hasn't been the least bit sore or painful from that point forward. The wound was quite deep so the lack of soreness seems unusual. Here is the current status two days later.

Comments (4)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Looks good considering! Aloe is an amazing plant! Glad it's helping you! I saw some today in 12" pots at walgreens! I need a new one but theirs didn't look too good . Lol. I hurt a finger yrs ago in the same way, building an aviary. Ouch! Hope it heals quick for you! It should with the help of aloe!

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jojos, thanks for the comment. Hope you find a good aloe plant but hopefully you will only need to use it for decorative purposes :>)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

OUCH!. Good deal on the healing. Yes, the plant is amazing

I have a Aloe miracle story too.. In 1973, I ended up with 3rd degree burns in a Hospital on the windward side of Hawaii for three weeks. My eye lid was split by the burn. My eye burned. You could see my cheek bone or so that is what they told me. I didn't look. I had burns going down my arm and body. They put me in isolation and basically did not much else, they used some sulfa or silver creme or something. I was drugged out, collecting buiness cards from plastic surgeons and dermatologist that stopped by my room. I had aloe vera smuggled in and some aloe arborescens. Actually I asked for the Aloe vera but Aloe arborescens was brought to me. Guys didn't know which aloe was which. It turns out that the medicinal qualities of A. arborescens is stronger. I didn't know that for decades. My red marks went away with continued use of the aloe.. I had white splotches on my arms, not from scars but because my freckles did not return. I had burns on my face alsoâ¦. no more freckles there either and no scars. I never did call any of those numbers on the business cards. Through the years the freckles on my arms have returned, but not on my face. About a month later, I burned my inner calf riding on the back of a motor cycle really bad. I knew just what to do for it.

It is an amazing plant. I keep both on hand. Well, I have many varieties.

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wanton, oh my! Thanks for sharing. I have read aloe can do a good job protecting the skin after a burn and the gel has compounds that assist in healing. Modern medicine is really amazing so I'm in awe of what doctors do but I think there is room for improvement in the use of less-accepted methods for assisting the healing process.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals