Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lleopardggecko

Pictures!

lleopardggecko
18 years ago

Here's some updated pictures of some of my plants. Enjoy!

D. Madagascarensis

{{gwi:560334}}

D. binata multifida var. extrema

{{gwi:560335}}

Nepenthes macfarlanei

{{gwi:560336}}

Nepenthes ramispina

{{gwi:560338}}

And finally a ping that I rescued from Home Depot about a month back. If anyone can I.D. it, I would be grateful!

{{gwi:560340}}

Comments (17)

• sdeering
    18 years ago

Looks like P.primuliflora. I have a pic of a flower in terra take a look. Nice plants by the way.
    Stephen

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Ye that is 100% a Primuliflora (USA butterwort), remember that these do go dorment.

Very nice pics

Cheers

Sheldon

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

love the plants!

• noob_master_flex
    18 years ago

what conditions do you keep the D. Madagascarensis under my bro. would like too know he has one not nearly as nice as your

• lleopardggecko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's another cool picture for you guys. It's my D. Scorpiodes devouring a fruit fly :D

{{gwi:560341}}

• lleopardggecko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

noob master flex: First of all, thanks for the kind words regarding my plant. It's always nice to hear stuff like that :)

As for the conditions my D. Madagascarensis is in (and many of my other plants, including the D. Scorpiodes I just posted a picture of):

It's being grown in a 10 gallon tank along with many other carnivores, mostly sundews. I have several different bulbs/tubes shining down into the tank. Two 30 watt daylight compact flourescents and a 20 watt full spectrum plant aquarium flourescent tube. I keep water in the bottom of the tank for all my plants' pots to sit in, and the water is kept full of air by a small aquarium air pump and air stones. Temperatures during the day hover around high 80s/low 90s and night temperatures usually drop to around 70. Humidity stays around 65% during the day, many times dipping lower depending on if the air conditioning is on or not, and at night the humidity usually jumps to around 80%. So far these conditions have weilded great results, so hopefully this'll help your brother out!

• noob_master_flex
    18 years ago

thanks for the info

• lleopardggecko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No problem!

• xpochian
    18 years ago

your drosera are healthier and larger than mine, but they've made very good progress, i'll give you that. but your nepenthe have gotten mine beaten hands-down! i've always had the worst luck with neps; nearly every other species i've taken in has survived and even thrived on rare occasion. hah.

I give them a light misting with room temperature reverse osmosis non mineralized water, they're planted in pure sphagnum and get 8 hours of sun and another 8 or so of my grow lights. their temperature is kept a nice and steamy 78+ farenheit and they have a damper of water below them, not touching them, so they'll benefit from the humidity.

anything you can see me doing wrong here? air circulation? not feeding enough bugs? not feeding them at all?

any help would be appreciated.

• lleopardggecko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the compliments xpochian!

From the conditions you explain, I can't see anything that's obviously wrong. I guess I'd have to know what was wrong with your Neps to make a diagnosis. Are they not producing big pitchers? No pitchers at all? Just get back to me with the details and I'll try to help you out.

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

would you have any pointers on a D. adelae? in a terrium?

• lleopardggecko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmmmm, D. adelae....

Well I have 5 of them all growing in different terrariums. They're all under daylight compact flourescent bulbs from Home Depot and Wal-Mart (some bigger bulbs than others) and all of them are doing great. Let me get some pictures of them and I'll post them with some more details regarding their specific conditions.

• lleopardggecko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry I took so long to respond!

Here's a picture of two of my D. adelae in one of my terrariums:

{{gwi:560342}}

Here's a close-up of one of them:
    {{gwi:560343}}

As far as pointers for these plants, growing them in terrariums...Good light is a must! Luckily D. adelae requires less light then most Drosera. My 10 gallon terrariums are lit by two 30 watt daylight compact flourescents and one 20 watt full spectrum tube (this is each terrarium), so each 10 gallon has a total of 80 watts of light shining down into it. That might even be a bit much for D. adelae, but they grow well. Always keep good air circulation going. My tanks aren't closed off, meaning that they have a good three inch gap on the sides where the hoods don't cover the tank. Other than that, they prefer conditions like just about every other sundew: Distilled/rainwater, use the tray method for watering, and bugs for fertilizer! Hope this all helps. Good luck with your Lance-Leaf!

• AzureBluet
    18 years ago

Excellent photos. Great growing!

• fsaforo
    18 years ago

Beautiful Is Right!

I bet these type of plants would love my house in the summer, darn flys and ants invade every year.

Flo

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

How are the Nepenthes ramispina to grow? Its one of the closests ive seen to a black nep. Other than a N. Tobacoa (sp?) i think thats the right way to spell it, but yea i think that they look cool and they are highlanders right? are the very hard to grow? or are they bit harder not liking temperature drops and things of that sort?

Cheers

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hey xpochian, what kind of Neps have you tried?
    My first Nep was a Ventricosa (Red) from www.petflytrap.com
    All my plants have grown in the basement on a windowsill under 2X40watt fluoresent tubes.
    All have grown with great success as well.
    The potting media Im currently using for my Neps is 1:2 Peat:Perlite
    I water them and allow the water to drain into the tray, when it evaporates I simply re-water.
    The one I gave my wife (my 1st ventricosa) is now sitting on her windowsill that gets hardly any sun, just morning, and I can say it might get 6 hours of direct light if that.
    It is still a dark pink and is making some great sized pitchers.
    Infact I looked last night and to my suprise the thing is drooling nectar like a hungry dog!!!
    There is so much that it is literally dripping this down the pitchers from the lip.

I have the hardier types, I do not use any form of terrarium and the only plant I have never hardened off is the Neps.
    After plunged into this low humidity enviroment the growth slows and stops for a few weeks, but then kicks into gear.

If you could list your potting media, your setup and your Nep types Im sure we can figure out whats going on.
    Remember that they hate having their "feet wet", they must just be kept moist at all times.
    The self watering pop bottle pot I put on the site seems to be working very well with a 2:1 Perlite:Peat mix with this idea.
    Just stuff the bottle neck with pure sphagnum peat and then fill with the 2:1 mix.
    Give a good soaking from above and let the drainige escape into the lower portion via the drainige holes you made.
    Then plant the Nep and keep the bottom reseviour filled (dont over fill, so dont go above the drainige holes)

Cheers

Sheldon

Sponsored