Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peat23

ID on succulent I found in my yard

peat23
9 years ago

It seems to be a succulent at least. It was a couple of very small plants in pretty much the same area. Whatever they are, I took cuttings of them and they all rooted (yay) so here is one of the cutting grown plants I planted out a few days ago:

Comments (10)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

It's a Kalanchoe, maybe K. blossfeldiana (in one of its many varieties).

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I am guessing sedum of some sort. one of the larger garden sedums like "Autumn Joy" or something.I am not that familiar with the larger sedums.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

If it overwintered, it's sedum (like wantonamara suggested)...if not - it's Kalanchoe as cactusmcharris suggested. Kalanchoe is hardy in warm zones like 10...
    Do you have any idea where it came from? Did you see anything similar last year? Did you or someone dump a pot of soil in the garden?

Rina

• peat23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want to believe its a Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, but I got hit with a pretty harsh winter last year, and the plant obviously survived it. But it says that Kalanchoe is extremely sensitive to cold and could not survive the cold that the winter inflicted upon them. So what is another possibility, besides possibly being a sedum of some sort?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

There is not one - if not Kalanchoe, a Sedum. Have you had it flower (with a picture of same)? Kalanchoes can survive some freezes, as long as they're dry, but not a prolonged cold snap.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

I'll go with Sedum also, like 'Autumn Joy' or other. =)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

In your zone, I really doubt it's Kalanchoe.
    But, Sedum is really nice, has long lasting flowers and it is hardy! Here are few in bloom (there are a red-leaved ones too)...Rina

{{gwi:591407}}

{{gwi:591409}}
    {{gwi:97203}}

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Pretty shure its sedum

• peat23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rina,

I have no clue where this came from. My only guess is that the previous owner of the house planted it and it was forgotten over the years, only to rediscovered by me :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Peat23

Free plants are great! Hope you'll enjoy it. Not too much water or it will flop - it is succulent, and grows 12-18" or so (dark red ones in middle photo are babies, grown from seeds).

Rina