Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slappym

New Meyer lemon tree repotting question

slappym
13 years ago

I just received a Meyer lemon tree that came in a nursery container with a peat based soil. I want to transplant into my new container filled with Al's gritty mix. The tree is approx. 4 years old. What should I do with the old soil on the roots? Remove it all? Just some? Cut back some roots? If so, what would be the best method to do this? Thanks, Rob

Comments (5)

• gg24
    13 years ago

"Oh and one more thing!! Did you make sure you filled in the soil around ALL the roots? I usually use a small stick or pencil, and wiggle it between the roots as I watch the soil fall even deeper into the pot. Then I pressure water into the pot into the roots as even more of this loose, bigger particle mix fills in the spaces between the roots..Make sure, ok..You do not want some roots dying of thirst while others are watered.."

The above is Meyermikes recent advice to me about transplanting my new meyer lemon. I also know from reading through other threads that it is also very important to remove all the old potting mix from the roots. I removed what I could with my hands and then sprayed off the rest in my kitchen sink.

Regarding cutting the roots, I didn't do it and my plant is perfectly happy in its new home. Someone else would have to advise you about that. Good luck with your new plant.

• mgk65
    13 years ago

In addition to the above, what you can do to remove the excess soil is to soak the root ball in slightly warm water for 5-10 minutes. Dunk the trunk up and down and most of the peat will come right off.

Definitely try to spread the roots around while slowly filling in the mix.

Don't put the tree in too deep in the pot. I try to keep them higher up so the roots have plenty of room to grow.

• slappym
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am really excited, this is my first attempt at citrus. I would like to try limes next. You people here are the best. I have learned a lot here. I'll let you know how the repotting goes.
    Thanks

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi slappym..

I hope it all works out for you..Remember that preparing for the future of your container plant is key, and if you can try to think about what will happen to the mix in a few weeks from now, you will think twice about a mix that breaks down rather quickly...Remember, roots need air to grow too..The soil is the heart of your plant, the foundation of your plants vitality..

If you plant in a mix that will holds it's structure, right through this coming winter, you will not be coming back by winters end telling us your tree died of root rot...

Mike

• timrod98
    13 years ago

slappym,
    you have received some wonderful advice/information on caring for your citrus plant.
    one other thing I would add is...when you repot remember to keep the plant in a shady area, not back in full sun. I will keep mine somewhat "shaded" for a week or two. Sun in Charleston can be intense.
    you are in the right place to get information. I have found these growers to be very helpful and knowledgeable.
    Growers...great people!!!!!
    t98